August 29, 2022

Help inform students of on-campus counseling services

Faculty and staff have an opportunity to be a resource to assist students with their emotional wellness. Given the increased stress with the start of a new semester, you may find yourself encountering students with mental health and emotional needs that warrant additional support. Students can use on campus counseling services at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).

CAPS counselors provide supportive, affirmative, trauma-informed and confidential services to students. They work with diverse students on a wide range of issues and use treatment techniques based individual needs. Help is available seven days a week during day and evening hours.

The services include:

  • Same day services: A counselor is available to students who need prompt support. Walk-ins are welcome, and same day appointments can be made by the calling the CAPS office at 618-453-5371.
  • Individual counseling:Many students make use of individual counseling where they can discuss personal issues with a caring professional who can help them resolve issues and identify constructive ways to cope.
  • Group counseling:CAPS offers several groups at different times during the semester. Groups can include support, education on skills, and process groups in specific areas.

CAPS staff is available 618-453-5371, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 12:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Walk-ins are welcome, and same day appointments can be made by calling 618-453-5371.

For 24/7 support, call or text to the phone number 988 for the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. If someone is concerned about their immediate safety, they should go to the nearest emergency room.

CAPS locations

All CAPS locations can be reached by calling 618-453-5371.

  • Student Health Center:CAPS’ main office is on the Student Health Center’s second floor. Office hours are 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • University Housing, Baldwin and Grinnell residence halls: In collaboration with University Housing, CAPS has offices evening and weekends, with locations on East Campus in Grinnell Hall and on West Campus in Baldwin Hall.
  • Student Services Building:In collaboration with the Multicultural Resource Center, CAPS is available in the Student Services Building, Room 129, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • Lingle Hall: In collaboration with the SIU athletics department, CAPS is available for student-athletes in Lingle Hall, Room 119D.

If you are concerned about a student, let the person know that you care and would like to help. Encourage counseling or submit a Saluki Cares report at You may want to help them call CAPS at 618-453-5371 or walk them to a CAPS location for a counseling session. Follow up with them to check on how they are doing and if their needs are being met. If you are not sure how to help, you can always call a counselor at CAPS and provide information about a student.