November 09, 2020
Virtual conversation about African American history in SIU System region is Nov. 16
Faculty, staff, students, alumni and community members from across the SIU System are invited to join a live virtual discussion next week that examines African American history events in the regions surrounding SIU Carbondale and SIU Edwardsville. The discussion will highlight influences these historical episodes have had in developing the SIU System.
The discussion, “African American History at SIU and in the SIU Region,” is from 5 to 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 16. The meeting will be available on the SIU System’s YouTube Channel.
The participants include:
- Wes McNeese, SIU System executive director for diversity initiatives, who will provide the welcome.
- Father Joseph Brown, professor, Africana Studies, SIU Carbondale, who will serve as moderator.
- Dan Mahony, SIU System president, will provide closing remarks.
- Todd Bryson, interim associate chancellor for diversity, SIU Carbondale, who will monitor the virtual questions and comments.
The panelists are:
- Harriett Barlow, executive director, Academic Multicultural Center, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, an SIU Carbondale alumna.
- Hannah Friedman, SIU Carbondale, junior, Cinema and Photography.
- Andrew Theising, professor, Political Science, SIU Edwardsville.
- Timothy Staples, director, East St. Louis Center, SIU Edwardsville.
- Maryam Bakare, SIU School of Medicine, third-year student.
- Barra Madden, SIU School of Medicine, third-year student.
- Christine Todd, associate professor of Clinical Internal Medicine and Medical Humanities, School of Medicine.
The event will feature an SIU community panel sharing their experiences and stories, followed by a Q&A session through the YouTube comment section. Questions may be submitted before the event by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is the fifth in a series of virtual exchanges where students, alumni, faculty, staff and community members can share their experiences and thoughts on a variety of themes related to diversity, inclusion and equity.
The SIU System President’s Office and the SIU System Diversity Advisory Council are discussion sponsors.