October 05, 2020
Virtual conversation on dismantling systemic racism is Oct. 14
Faculty, staff, students, alumni and community members from across the SIU System are invited to join a live virtual discussion next week that examines best practices for dealing with systemic racism as seen in the nation’s systems and organizations, especially higher education institutions.
The discussion, “A Conversation of Understanding: Strategies and Actions to Dismantle Systemic Racism” is from 5 to 7 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 14. The meeting will be available on the SIU System’s YouTube Channel.
The event will feature an SIU community panel sharing their experiences and stories, followed by a Q&A session where participants can ask questions or provide comments using the YouTube comment section. Questions may be submitted before the event by email to email@example.com.
The participants include:
- Wes McNeese, SIU System executive director for diversity initiatives, who will provide the welcome.
- Nilanjana Bardhan, SIU Carbondale director of graduate studies and professor, Department of Communication Studies, who will serve as moderator.
- Kelly Hurst, national organizer and trainer, Crossroads Antiracism Organizing and Training, who will provide opening remarks.
The panelists are:
- Dan Mahony, SIU System president.
- Austin A. Lane, SIU Carbondale chancellor.
- Randy Pembrook, SIU Edwardsville chancellor.
- Wendi Wills El-Amin, SIU School of Medicine, associate dean for equity, diversion and inclusion.
- Todd Bryson, SIU Carbondale interim associate chancellor for diversity.
- Vanessa Brown, SIU Edwardsville associate chancellor for institutional diversity and inclusion.
- Travis Fulk, SIU School of Medicine, fourth-year student.
This is the fourth in a series of virtual exchanges where students, alumni, faculty, staff and community members can share their experiences and thoughts on a variety of themes related to diversity, inclusion and equity.
The SIU System President’s Office and the SIU System Diversity Advisory Council are discussion sponsors.