May 26, 2020
SIU Alumni Association awards 22 scholarships for 2020-2021
CARBONDALE, Ill. — The SIU Alumni Association is announcing 22 students who will receive financial assistance through the 2020-21 academic year to attend Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Each of the students are accepted and committed to attend SIU Carbondale for the fall 2020 semester, which begins Aug. 17. The financial aid comes by way of two Legacy Scholarships, as well as an assortment of regional-based awards managed by the Association’s geographic-based chapters. Fundraising occurs year-round for each of these funds, but a significant portion of the money comes from dues paid by SIU Alumni Association life members.
Students receive scholarships based on both merit and financial need criteria specific to each scholarship. The organization administers the scholarship funds.
“We at the Association are ecstatic to be announcing these scholarship recipients. Each student has truly earned their reward, and distributing this funding is a testament to how important membership is to this organization,” said Jeff Gleim, SIU Alumni Association executive director. “I have to make that point whenever I can, because our members help us make these differences in the lives of students.”
Michelle Rust, the association’s director of college and student relations, said the scholarships also mark a great sense of collaboration between the organization and the university.
“We can’t thank our colleagues enough in helping us identify and deliver these awards to the students who need them most,” Rust said. “It proves everyone at SIU is in this for the benefit of our students.”
The list of scholarship recipients who will be receiving them by hometown, scholarship and amount, are:
- Anna: Lilian Yana, Union County Chapter Scholarship, $1,000.
- Carbondale: Dania Abou-Jabal, Jackson County Chapter Scholarship, $1,500.
- Carbondale: Kasey Colbert, Jackson County Family YMCA Scholarship, $1,500.
- Carbondale: Hanah Dillon, Jackson County Chapter Scholarship, $1,500.
- Carbondale: Amber-Rose Moore, Elizabeth Lewis Memorial Scholarship, $5,000.
- Carbondale: Erika Riley, Jackson County Family YMCA Scholarship, $1,500.
- Coulterville: Sydney Cometto, Randolph County Chapter Scholarship, $125.
- Cobden: Santiago Carmona, Union County Chapter Scholarship, $1,000.
- Darien: Ian Smith, Roscoe Pulliam Memorial Scholarship, $2,000.
- De Soto: Olivia Stearns, Rebecca and Jerry Kill SIU AA Scholarship, $500.
- Dunlap: Emily Budde, Peoria Tri-County Chapter Scholarship, $500.
- Du Quoin: Bethany Carter, Perry County Chapter Scholarship, $500.
- Dwight: Addison Bean, Legacy Scholarship, $1,000.
- Eldorado: Tessa Richerson, Saline County Chapter Scholarship, $500.
- Godfrey: Makenzie Plough, St. Louis Chapter Scholarship, $2,000.
- Hurst: Erin Wyatt, Williamson County Chapter Scholarship, $500.
- Mount Vernon: Kenzee Dycus, Jefferson County Chapter Scholarship, $175.
- Mulkeytown: Vanessa Coogan, Franklin County Chapter Scholarship, $350.
- Murphysboro: Kiera Harrison, Legacy Scholarship, $1,000.
- Springfield: Mark Franklin, Prairie Capitol Chapter Scholarship, $2,000.
- Yorkville: Jack Gomoll, Chicagoland Chapter Scholarship, $1,000.
- Louis: Kristin Hurston, St. Louis County Scholarship, $1,000.