April 08, 2020
University establishes employee guidelines for Coronavirus Response Act
Employees impacted by COVID-19 have access to new leave benefits under the federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act that went into effect on April 1.
Emergency paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave will be available to faculty and staff who meet certain criteria from April 1 through December 31, 2020. To be eligible, employees must have worked for the university for 30 or more days and are unable to work. Leave taken will be in addition to an employee’s existing vacation and sick leave.
SIU’s previous emergency paid leave provisions began on March 17 and ended March 31. As of April 1st, employees now have access to new federal leave provisions.
Following is an outline of what the act provides. Employees should carefully review the full guidelines for complete details and additional information.
You are eligible for up to two weeks of paid leave if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You are subject to a federal, state, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19.
- You have been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19.
- You are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and are seeking a medical diagnosis.
You are eligible for up to two weeks of paid leave at two-thirds of your usual rate if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You are caring for an individual subject to a quarantine or isolation order from health agency or health care provider.
- You are experiencing any other substantially similar condition specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of Labor and Treasury.
You are eligible for up to 12 weeks of leave, less any prior use of leave under the Family Medical Leave Act during the qualifying period, if you meet the following criterion:
- You are caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19. Please see the guidelines for additional details.
While this act currently applies to all employees, the university reserves the right to exempt emergency responders and health care providers if necessary.
To request leave, please submit the Families First Coronavirus Response Act Request for Leave form. Email questions firstname.lastname@example.org.