March 23, 2020
Office of Information Technology can provide help
The Office of Information Technology has been working diligently to respond to campus needs and requests during this very fluid time. OIT has been combining and streamlining services to ensure that users receive the best support possible.
The OIT COVID-19 response website is up and is the most up-to-date reference source for all current OIT efforts.
Here are some available resources:
- SalukiTech is providing support for the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) —particularly information for faculty and students as they adopt tools like D2L for remote teaching. Contact SalukiTech at salukitech.siu.edu or 618/453-5155.
- Microsoft Teams, which has already been made available to devices across campus, has a wide array of tools for remote work and collaboration. Tools include chat, phone and video meetings, and secure file storage/sharing where ever there is internet access. More information is at oit.siu.edu/crc/training/microsoft/microsoft-teams/ or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OneDrive is a place for secure file storage that you can access from anywhere. Every SIU faculty and staff member has access to 1 TB of storage in OneDrive. More information is at oit.siu.edu/crc/training/microsoft/onedrive/.
- Several Computer Learning Center (CLC) labs are open to students who need them. Open labs include those in Faner Hall, Room 1025, Applied Arts and Sciences, Room 112, and Mass Communications, Room 9. Guidelines in these labs for social distancing and cleaning are being followed.
- Virtual Desktop (VDI) access is available for those needing specific software or computer classroom environments off campus. More information is at vdi.siu.edu.
- OIT is working to make remote access for desktop computers available to faculty and staff. More information can be found at oit.siu.edu/_common/documents/remote-work-decision-tree.pdf
- OIT streamlined the process to request off-campus access to the network via Virtual Private Network (VPN). OIT also reconfigured VPN appliances to allow more capacity and bandwidth. More information can be found at oit.siu.edu/networkengineering/services/vpn/.
- OIT has arranged for additional services and software licenses from Adobe, Microsoft and other vendor partners.
If you need any assistance regarding technology tools, services, or support, visit the SalukiTech website or call 618/453-5155.