March 02, 2020
Dependent Eligibility Verification Audit starts Tuesday
Central Management Services (CMS) audits all dependents who are on state insurance plans every five years through a Dependent Eligibility Verification Audit, or DEVA. The audit for 2020 for active university employees will begin Tuesday through April 25.
During this time period, DEVA will validate the eligibility of dependents covered by state-administered insurance plans through records submitted by the member. Biological or adopted children previously verified in the 2015 audit will not need to be included this time.
Failure to recertify will result in termination of the dependent’s coverage by CMS.
Members will received a total of three (3) letters via the U.S. mail:
- Initial notification letter.
- Reminder notification letter – sent 15 days after the initial notification letter.
- Final notification letter – sent 15 days after the reminder notification letter.
Dependents to be audited
HMS Employer Solutions verifies the dependents’ status based upon eligibility and enrollment guidelines provide by the state of Illinois. The following dependents will be audited.
- Domestic partner.
- Children under the age of 26, including stepchildren and children of a civil union partner. (Biological or adopted children verified during the previous audit will not be included).
- Disabled children age 26 and older.
- Dependents added prior to 1983.
It is important to remember at the conclusion of the audit, dependents for whom members do not provide verification documents for will be terminated from coverage by CMS. The CMS website has a list of frequently asked questions about the verification audit.
More information is available by calling 855/424.0850