February 20, 2020
Employment Eligibility Verification form updates
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office recently published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification which contains minor changes and instructions.
As of Jan. 31, 2020, employers should use the new form with an Oct. 31, 2022 expiration date. The form is available at hr.siu.edu/forms in the employment forms section. To allow time to adjust for business processes, employers, however, may continue using the prior I-9 form until April 30, 2020.
The minor changes to the form and revised instructions, include:
- The new form revised the Country of Issuance and Issuing Authority field in Section 1 to include Eswatini and Macedonia, North.
The revised instructions contain the following changes:
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer.
- Updated the USCIS website and addresses.
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents.
- Updated the process for requesting paper I-9 forms.
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice.
Some general reminders on I-9 completion:
- It is strongly recommended the new form be completed online and printed. The online form contains helpful prompts and automatically populates certain fields.
- Initial all corrections. Also, white-out cannot be used to make corrections. If white-out is used, a note explaining the occurrence must be attached to the I-9.
- The employer sign date on page two must be dated no later than 3 days after the hire date of the employee. It can be completed any time before the start date.
- Citizenship/Immigration status on page 2 must match the employee information from page 1.