January 27, 2020
‘Film Fridays’ to feature a variety of international films
CARBONDALE, Ill. — Seven students in the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts’ graduate program will give their perspectives to a variety of international films this semester.
“Film Fridays,” presented by the Department of Cinema and Photography, will feature eight free films beginning Feb. 7. The film screenings all start at 4 p.m. and will be shown in Lawson Hall, Room 131.
All screenings are free and open to the public.
Students select the films to present and discuss
Graduate students are serving as film curators, selecting the film, discussing it with the audience and then leading a Q&A after the film, H.D. Motyl, department chair, said.
“These are films that have a personal resonance for the grad students, so the post-screening discussions should be very insightful and lively,” he said.
Schedule includes a variety of films
The schedule, with film, country of origin, year, director and curator, is:
- Feb. 7 – “My Sassy Girl,” South Korea, 2001, directed by Kwak Jae-yong; presented by William Kohler, master’s student.
- Feb. 14 – “Ram Ke Naam (In the Name of God),” India, 1991, directed by Anand Patwardhan; presented by Soumik Pal, doctoral student.
- Feb. 21 – “Chunking Express,” Hong Kong, 1994, directed by Wong Kar Wai presented by Cody Tracy, MFA student.
- March 20 – “An Actor’s Revenge,” Japan, 1963, directed by Kon Ichikawa presented by William Kohler, master’s student.
- March 27 – “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” United States, 2004, directed by Michel Gondry; presented by Ann Thomson, doctoral student.
- April 3 – “Memories of Murder,” South Korea, 2014, directed by Bong Joon-ho; presented by William Kohler, master’s student and Hyo Jeong Lee, doctoral student.
- April 10 – “Like Father, Like Son (Soshite Chichi Ni Naru)” Japan, 2013; directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda; presented by Daniel Rodriguez, MFA student.
- April 17 – “Parviz,” Iran, 2012, directed by Majid Barzegar; presented by Tahereh Rahimi, master’s student.