January 13, 2020
Five new schools launched
Academic reorganization continued with the launch of five schools on January 1. The schools and their leadership are:
- Agricultural Sciences: Ira Altman, interim director, professor of agribusiness economics,
- Analytics, Finance and Economics: Kevin Sylwester, interim director, professor of economics,
- Education: Matthew Keefer, dean, professor of counseling, quantitative methods and special education
- Human Sciences: Juliane Wallace, interim director, associate professor of kinesiology,
- Management and Marketing: John Goodale, interim director, associate professor of management
The five new schools join seven that were launched on July 1, 2019.
- Applied Engineering and Technology
- Biological Sciences
- Earth Systems and Sustainability
- Health Sciences
- Justice and Public Safety
- Psychological and Behavioral Sciences
Two additional schools have been forwarded from the system president’s office to the Illinois Board of Higher Education for review. They are:
- Electrical, Computer and Biomedical Engineering
- Civil, Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering
The IBHE is also reviewing a proposal for a reorganized College of Business and Analytics.
Meera Komarraju, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs, said that discussions regarding other schools and colleges are ongoing.
“The administrative organization of our academic programs has been a collaborative process,” she said. While there is work ahead, we can take pride that in what we have accomplished is due to the hard work and contributions of our faculty and staff; our thanks to them.”
Komarraju reiterated that academic reorganization does not impact current students, who will complete their programs following the catalog year in which they were admitted.