December 12, 2019
Help SIU save energy costs over winter break
In an effort to control campus energy costs, Plant and Service Operations asks employees to help conserve energy by following some simple suggestions before leaving campus for the holiday break:
Minimize heating of unoccupied spaces:
- Set thermostats back to 55 degrees.
- Properly shut all outside windows and doors.
- Close window blinds.
Turn off unused equipment:
- All lights.
- Computer monitors, CPUs, and laptops.
- Office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, and printers.
- Laboratory equipment not necessary for safety or ongoing research.
Unplug unused appliances:
- Space heaters.
- Anything with a clock or timer such as coffee pots and microwaves.
- Break room refrigerators. Please empty, clean, defrost, and leave door open.
With the assistance of faculty and staff, the university can conserve energy, reduce expenses, and promote environmental stewardship.