May 24, 2019
Free dental clinics will be available for area children this summer
CARBONDALE, Ill. – There are several opportunities this summer for children in the region to receive free preventive dental services through the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Dental Sealant Grant Program.
Each of the 14 clinics are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. No appointments are necessary, and children will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. No new patients will be accepted after 1:30 p.m.
Examinations fulfill state school requirements
The clinics are for children from three to 17 years old. Services will include exams, cleanings, fluoride treatments and sealants performed by senior dental hygiene students.
The exam fulfills state requirements for children who will be entering kindergarten, second, sixth and ninth grades this fall. There is no fee for the dental services. Children who are members of the “AllKids” program should bring their medical card.
The clinic dates and locations are:
- June 13 – Marion: Boyton Street Community Center, 501 W. Boyton St.
- June 14 – Du Quoin: Du Quoin United Pentecostal Church, 1311 S. Washington St.
- June 20 – Murphysboro: Murphysboro Youth and Recreation Center, 1818 W. Walnut St.
- June 21 – Carbondale: Bethel A.M.E. Church, 314 E. Jackson St.
- June 27 – Pinckneyville: Perry County Health Department, 907 S. Main St.
- June 28 – Benton: Franklin-Williamson Bi-County Health Dept., 403 E. Park St.
- July 11 – Murphysboro: Summer lunch program at Murphysboro High School, 50 Blackwood Drive.
- July 12 – Cobden: Cobden First Baptist Church, 200 S. Walker St.
- July 19 – Murphysboro: Jackson County Health Department, 415 Health Department Road.
- July 25 – Pinckneyville: Perry County Health Department, 907 S. Main St.
- July 26 – Marion: Franklin-Williamson Bi-County Health Dept., 8160 Express Dr.
- July 30 – Carbondale: Faith Temple Church of God in Christ, 604 N. Marion St.
- Aug. 1 – Pinckneyville: Perry County Health Department, 907 S. Main St.
- Aug. 2 – Murphysboro: Jackson County Health Department, 415 Health Department Road.
For more information, contact Natalie Richardson, program manager and dental hygienist in SIU Carbondale’s School of Allied Health, at 618/453-7223.