September 10, 2018
SIU’s Passport Fair offers quick and convenient way to obtain or renew a passport
CARBONDALE, Ill. — If traveling abroad is of interest to you, you’ll be happy to learn that you can apply for a passport or renew a passport at Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s Passport Fair on Sept. 12. The event is set for 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Student Center, near the south entrance.
Students, faculty, staff and community members are welcome to attend.
The event is sponsored by SIU’s Center for International Education and the United States Postal Service. The goal is to make it convenient and fast to obtain or renew this important document during a one-stop event.
Bring required items
To obtain or renew a passport, you’ll need to complete some paperwork and bring specific documentation with you to the fair. First time applicants must complete form DS-11 and those renewing passports must submit form DS-82.
You must also bring evidence of citizenship, including the original or certified copy of one of these documents:
- A valid, undamaged U.S. passport (it can be expired).
- S. birth certificate.
- Consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth.
- Certificate of naturalization.
- Certificate of citizenship.
Appropriate photo ID required
In addition, you must present an appropriate photo identification. Acceptable items include:
- Valid, undamaged U.S. passport (expired is acceptable).
- Valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Certificate of naturalization or citizenship.
- Government (city, county, state or federal) employee ID.
- S. military or military dependent ID.
- Valid foreign passport.
- Matricula Consular (a Mexican Consular identification which is commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant).
Pay by check or money order
The cost for the passport is $110 and you can pay by check or money order. The application fee is payable to the U.S. Department of State.
In addition, there is a $35 execution fee which is payable to the United States Postal Service. All current full-time SIU students with their student ID will get a waiver of the $35 fee thanks to the university’s Center for International Education.