August 23, 2018
SIU offering big movie lineup for fall
CARBONDALE, Ill. — You can catch popular movies and new releases at Southern Illinois University Carbondale for exceptionally low prices this fall.
SPC Films has announced its fall movie schedule and the fun begins Friday with “Avengers: Infinity War.”
All are welcome
All movies are open to students, faculty, staff and the general public. Plans call for two outdoor and one indoor locations: Saluki Stadium, Shryock Auditorium lawn and Student Center Auditorium.
Students get in free
SIU students are admitted to all flicks for free with a valid ID. In addition, all of the outdoor movies are free for everyone. For the remaining movies, admission for faculty and staff, with ID, is $2 while tickets are $3 for the general public. The cost for children ages 4-10 is $2 and those ages three and younger are admitted free.
Popcorn and beverages will also be available for just $1 each.
Debit Dawg or cash are acceptable forms of payment.
Ten movies planned
The complete fall movie schedule, along with times and dates, locations, notice of free admission for everyone, ratings and brief descriptions of the movies, includes:
- Friday, Aug. 24 – “Avengers: Infinity War,” 7 and 9:45 p.m., Student Center Auditorium, PG-13, 156 minutes. The 2018 American superhero film, one of the most expensive ever made, is based on the Marvel Comics superhero Avengers team and sees them take on the evil Thanos.
- Sept. 6 – “Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century,” 7 p.m., Shryock lawn, PG, 97 minutes. A mischievous girl from outer space is grounded on earth and must deal with gravity and teenage problems while an evil villain seeks to destroy her home in this adventure comedy.
- Sept. 20 – “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom,” 7 p.m., Shryock lawn, PG-13, 128 minutes. This 2018 science fiction adventure sequel finds Owen Grady and Clair Dearing returning to the island of Isla Nublar to save the remaining dinosaurs from a volcanic eruption only to discover new breeds and a conspiracy threatening the planet.
- Sept. 28 – “Incredibles 2,” free show, 6:45 p.m./doors open at 6 p.m., Saluki Stadium, PG, 118 minutes. This new Disney Pixar computer-animated superhero film is full of laughs and adventure.
- Oct. 12 – A twin bill will be shown at two different locations:
- “Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation,” free movie for all, 6:45 p.m./doors open at 6 p.m., Saluki Stadium. Enjoy a fun adventure with this favorite animated monster family as it embarks on a luxury monster cruise ship vacation.
- “A Quiet Place,” 7 and 9 p.m., Student Center Auditorium, PG-13, 90 minutes. This recent release is a science fiction horror tale where a family must live in silence to hide from all-hearing monsters.
- Oct. 26 – “Halloweentown,” 7 p.m., Shryock Lawn, PG, 84 minutes. This Disney comedy adventure follows a girl who discovers she’s a witch and then strives to save a town filled with other supernaturals.
- Nov. 2 – “Love, Simon,” 7 and 9 p.m., Student Center Auditorium, PG-13, 110 minutes. It’s a 2018 romantic teenage coming of age comedy/drama.
- Nov. 9 – “The Spy Who Dumped Me,” 7 and 9 p.m., Student Center Auditorium, PG-13, 117 minutes. The new release is about two best friends who are accidentally drawn into international intrigue and conspiracy when they discover the boyfriend who dropped one is actually a spy.
- Nov. 30 – “Home Alone,” 7 p.m., Student Center Auditorium, PG-13, 103 minutes. This classic comedy adventure follows the exploits of a young boy accidentally left at home during his family vacation to Paris as he defends his home from would-be robbers.
Additional information online
Movie titles are subject to change, based upon availability. Organizers request that no children be brought to R-rated movies.
The Student Programming Council film series is a Saluki Superfan Event.
Individuals with disabilities are welcome; call 618/453-5714 or 618/453-5738 for accommodations.
For additional information about SPC Films call 618/536-3393 or look online.