May 30, 2018
Free dental clinics available for area children this summer
CARBONDALE, Ill. – There are several opportunities this summer for children in the region to receive free preventive dental services through the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Dental Sealant Grant Program.
Each of the 12 clinics are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. No appointments are necessary, and children will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. No new patients will be accepted after 1:30 p.m.
Examinations fulfill state school requirements
The clinics are for children from three to 17 years old. Services will include exams, cleanings, fluoride treatments and sealants performed by senior dental hygiene students.
The exam fulfills state requirements for children who will be entering kindergarten, second and sixth grade this fall. There is no fee for the dental services. Children who are members of the “AllKids” program should bring their medical card.
The clinic dates and locations are:
- June 14 – Marion: Boyton Street Community Center, 501 W. Boyton St.
- June 15 – Murphysboro: Murphysboro Youth and Recreation Center, 1818 W. Walnut St.
- June 21 – Pinckneyville: Perry County Health Department, 907 S. Main St.
- June 22 – Murphysboro: Summer lunch program at Gen. John A. Logan Attendance Center, 320 Watson Road.
- June 28 – Pinckneyville: Perry County Health Department, 907 S. Main St.
- June 29 – Cobden: Cobden First Baptist Church, 200 S. Walker St.
- July 5 – Murphysboro: Jackson County Health Department, 415 Health Department Road.
- July 19 – Carbondale: Bethel A.M.E. Church, 314 E. Jackson St.
- July 26 – Pinckneyville: Perry County Health Department, 907 S. Main St.
- July 27 – Du Quoin: Eagle Wings Christian Fellowship, 422 E. Winters Ave.
- 2 – Murphysboro: Jackson County Health Department, 415 Health Department Road.
- 3 – Carbondale: Faith Temple Church of God in Christ, 604 N. Marion St.
For more information, contact Natalie Richardson, program manager and dental hygienist in SIU Carbondale’s School of Allied Health, at 618/453-7223.