May 11, 2018
Media Advisory – Long-distance arrivals for SIU Commencement
As Southern Illinois University Carbondale celebrates the graduation of nearly 2,800 students this week, several students graduating from off-campus program locations across the country are flying in to receive their diplomas. Most of the students coming from Extended Campus sites, including California and Florida, are members of the military.
The students have earned their bachelor’s degrees in Workforce Education and Development and will receive their diplomas during the 1:30 p.m. commencement ceremonies at SIU Arena. Afterward, they will gather for a group photo in the east lobby of the arena, near Tedrick Auditorium.
Reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to cover the 1:30 commencement ceremony and talk with these new Saluki alumni afterward.
For more information about the off-campus WED graduates, email Deborah Barnett, lecturer and off-campus degree programs manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media are invited to cover any of the four commencement ceremonies this week:
- Today, May 11 – SIU School of Law at 3 p.m. in Shryock Auditorium.
- Saturday, May 12 (all in the SIU Arena).
- 9 a.m. – College of Agricultural Sciences, College of Liberal Arts, College of Science, School of Medicine.
- 1:30 p.m. – College of Business, College of Education and Human Services.
- 5:30 p.m. – College of Applied Sciences and Arts, College of Engineering, College of Mass Communication and Media Arts.