January 05, 2018
Community Day will showcase SIU Student Recreation Center’s facilities and services
CARBONDALE, Ill. – Explore Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s 214,000-square-foot Student Recreation Center and check out the numerous recreational facilities and opportunities it offers at no cost during Recreational Sports and Services’ inaugural Community Day, set for 1-7 p.m. on Jan. 14, 2018.
The center, located at 300 E. Grand Ave. on the SIU campus, features state-of-the-art amenities including an Olympic-size pool and diving boards, two indoor walking/jogging tracks, five weight/cardio rooms, two large gymnasiums, multi-purpose rooms, an indoor climbing wall and outdoor equipment rental. Recreational Sports and Services also provides numerous services and opportunities, including group fitness classes, personal trainers and more.
Recreation Center memberships open to anyone
While SIU students are able to use the facilities at no cost, members of the general public can utilize the facilities and services as well by purchasing memberships. The Community Day gives people of Carbondale and the surrounding region the opportunity to come see and try what the Student Recreation Center has to offer.
“This was an idea that came forth from our Recreation Advisory Board. We wanted to be more collaborative with the community, and this is a great way to showcase all that the SRC has to offer,” Troy Vaughn, director of Recreational Sports and Services, said.
Giveaways, discounts and more
To kick the new year off right, SRC is offering several bonuses during Community Day, including giveaways, discounts on memberships, and programs for prospective programs to try that day.
Community Day offerings and activities include:
- Free student-led tours of the facilities
- Drawing for two free one-year SRC memberships
- Twenty percent discount on annual memberships for those who register that day
- Half-hour wellness and nutrition seminar hosted by staff members at 2:30 p.m.
- Zumba class from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- “Mommy and Me” yoga session from 2 to 3 p.m. for mothers and their children, ages seven and younger.
- A drawing for three personal training assessments
- Free mini-massages from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Personal trainers will be on hand to provide equipment orientations and meet with visitors
- Family Fun Swim from 2 to 5 p.m.
- The indoor climbing wall will be open for visitors to try
Learn more about the SIU Student Recreation Center and find the complete schedule for Community Day online at rec.siu.edu or call 618/453-1277 for additional information.