April 10, 2017
Important FY2018 Benefit Choice Period Information
The State Employee’s Group Insurance Program Benefit Choice open enrollment period will run May 1-31. Changes made during this period will become effective July 1, the start of the new fiscal year. According to the Department of Human Resources, there are several reminders and suggestions that employees will find helpful in preparing for the open enrollment period. Currently, there is no definitive information about changes for the upcoming benefit choice period, but that information will be provided to employees as it becomes available.
New Enrollment System
All eligible faculty and staff received information last fall that the State of Illinois implemented a new online enrollment system called MyBenefits MarketPlace.
This new system requires that all eligible employees access the MyBenefits MarketPlace website to both enroll in and/or change their benefit elections (health, dental, life, flexible spending). The new online system has completely changed the process on how employees will submit changes to their benefit choice elections. Please refer to the reminders and suggestions below.
- All employees are responsible for registering with the new system. This is the only way to make changes/elections.
- Paper forms are no longer accepted and benefit choice changes cannot be processed by the Human Resource Benefits staff. Access to complete changes is no longer an available option for our staff.
- Flexible Spending (MCAP and DCAP) elections must be made through the online system.
- When making changes, supporting documentation (such as a birth certificate and marriage license) for requested changes will require those documents to be uploaded to the system when changes are made. Changes will not be processed until these documents are received.
The Department of Human Resources has several suggestions for employees to complete now, prior to the start of the benefit choice period.
- Establish your account and log on to MyBenefits MarketPlace TODAY (see registration and log on instructions below). The new system and any potential benefit choice changes will make it challenging for the Human Resource staff or the customer service center at the vendor, Morneau Shepell, to trouble shoot and assist with account creation and log on issues during the benefits choice period.
- After logging in your account, review your current benefit elections and plan for any changes you would like to make during the benefit choice period. Many times, employees forget such things as the value of life insurance and the premium cost, or removing a child dependent that now has their own coverage. Reviewing and evaluating your benefit elections could result in a money savings.
- Set up or update your email address. Your email address on record should be one that you check frequently. Future benefit communication and information will be sent to your email address.
- Make your elections early during the benefits choice period, preferably during the first two weeks of May. As with any new system implementation issues occur. This will be the first benefit choice period in the new system and problems are expected to surface. Delaying your elections might result in a missed deadline.
MyBenefits MarketPlace Log On Instructions
- Go to MyBenefits MarketPlace and click “Login,” located in the upper right part of the screen.
- Look for the small text “Logging in for the first time? Register” and click, “Register,” located on the lower right part of the screen.
- Answer the self-registration questions
- Last four digits of your Social Security Number
- Date of birth
- Last name
- First two letters of your first name
- Mailing address zip code
- Enter the CAPTCHA code and click Continue
- Create your unique secure password and click Continue
- Click Show Login Code to view your CMS-issued Employee ID Number (EIN) and save this number for future logins! Click Continue
- Create your challenge questions (to be used if you forget your password)
- Accept the CMS disclaimer
- Securely document your LOGIN ID, password and EIN for your records
Using MyBenefits MarketPlace
- To login, use your Employee ID Number (EIN) and password. Note: The dash ‘-‘ included in the EIN should not be used during log on.
- Once logged-in, the main screen will display a summary of your current coverages and their associated costs. You may also click on either “View All” or “Self Service Tools” – “View My Elections” to see more expanded personal, enrollment and dependent information.
- Update your email address by clicking on Your Benefits box, click on “Self Service Tools” and then “Update My Email”. You may enter more than one email address. We recommend using your official @siu.edu address and any other preferred email address so you receive timely benefit information from CMS, notes on missing information needed to process requested changes and any required documentation.
Please keep this in mind that benefit choice changes are not available in the enrollment system until the open enrollment period begins May 1. Throughout the rest of the year, only life-event changes, such as marriage, birth of a child, etc., are allowed. Please review employee responsibilities on page 3 of the benefits handbook as a reminder of what changes require action in the new enrollment system.
For assistance with your state benefit plans, contact the MyBenefits Marketplace Service Center.
- Phone: 844/251-1777 or TTY 844-251-1778
- Hours: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Mailing Address: Box 467846, Atlanta, Ga., 31146
You may also contact Human Resources at HRBenefits@siu.edu or 618/453-6668 for assistance.