January 23, 2017
Nonprofit organization management training available
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Openings remain for the first in a series of six online workshops for nonprofit organization management training hosted by Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
The first workshop, “Comfort Describes More Than Your Mama's Cooking: The Role of Strategies in Managing a Nonprofit,” is at 6 p.m., Feb. 13.
The sessions will be available via interactive web-based software. Students can attend the live sessions and interact with the instructor, and receive training via a podcast available 24 hours after each of the live sessions. James M. Grant, a lecturer in the Department of Political Science and the university’s Master of Public Administration program, who has more than 40 years of experience in nonprofit leadership, will teach each of the six sessions. The sessions run through Nov. 13.
Each session is $75; the complete series is available for $405. Organizations signing up for the complete series receive a 10 percent discount. Those who complete all six sessions will receive a certificate of completion and have free access to recordings of all six sessions until the end of 2018 to train others within their respective organization. The workshops are sponsored by the university’s Paul Simon Public Policy Institute, Master of Public Administration program, and SIU Extended Campus.
The remaining sessions are:
- Session 2 -- March 27, 6 p.m., “Let the Good Times Roll: A Look at Board Development.”
- Session 3 -- April 24, 6 p.m., “Never Enough: How to Deal with a Lack of Money.”
- Session 4 -- Sept. 18, 6 p.m., “We’re Moving on Up: Donor Development.”
- Session 5 -- Oct. 23, 6 p.m., “Ring the Bell: Fundraising Strategies using GIVES (Growth, Involvement, Visibility, Efficiency, Stability).”
- Session 6 -- Nov. 13, 6 p.m., “Where’s the Money: A Basic Approach to Grant Writing.”
For more information, contact Kathy Smith-Shaffer, conference coordinator, Continuing Education and Professional Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 618/453-3430. Registration information is available at http://extendedcampus.siu.edu/continuing-ed/nonprofitseries.php.