December 15, 2016
Help SIU save energy costs over break
In an effort to control campus energy costs, Plant and Service Operations asks employees to help conserve energy by following some simple suggestions before leaving campus for the holiday break:
- Turn off all lights.
- Turn off computer monitors and either put computers in standby mode or shut them off.
- Turn off office equipment such as fax machines, copiers and printers that can be turned off without affecting campus operations.
- Unplug any items that have a clock or timer such as coffee pots and microwaves.
- Properly shut all outside windows and doors.
- Set thermostats back to 65 degrees.
- Shut off any laboratory equipment that does not jeopardize safety or ongoing research.
With the assistance of faculty and staff, the university can conserve energy, reduce expenses and promote environmental stewardship.