October 03, 2016
Media Advisory -- FFA Day at SIU
High school FFA students from 13 area high schools will attend FFA Day at Southern Illinois University Carbondale on Thursday, Oct. 6. The annual event brings FFA students to campus for a day of educational workshops and learning sessions with SIU faculty and graduate students in a variety of agricultural industry settings. The day’s activities run from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m.
Reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to cover the event. Students will be at various locations at University Farms with College of Agricultural Sciences faculty and students. SIU’s Agbassadors, an agricultural sciences Registered Student Organization, will serve as group leaders.
Some sessions require walking travel to different sites. Here’s the schedule:
- Human Nutrition and Dietetics with Brenda Green, graduate student, service center, small bay area
- Meat Science with College of Agricultural Sciences Dean Mickey Latour, service center, large bay area
- Cannulated Cows with Rebecca Atkinson, associate professor of animal science, Beef Center
- Equine Science with Stephanie Speiser, senior lecturer, Equine Center
Track Two: All sessions are at the compost facility area near the organic garden
- Tree I.D. with Jon Schoonover, professor of forestry
- Soybean and Weed Science with Jason Bond, professor of plant, soil and agricultural systems, and Karla Gage, assistant professor of plant, soil and agricultural systems and plant biology
- Tractor Safety with the Illinois Fire Safety Institute
- Forced Air Compost Facility and Dining Hall Waste with Austin Salsman, student
For more information, contact Susan Graham at 618/453-2469 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Peter Dirks at 618/453-3080 or email@example.com.