June 22, 2016
50th annual Belleville Field Day set for July 14
CARBONDALE, Ill. – Farmers and other agricultural industry professionals will look back to see where we’ve come and look forward to see where we might be going at the 50th Annual Belleville Field Day, a Southern Illinois University Carbondale College of Agricultural Sciences event.
The field day is July 14, beginning with a welcome at 8 a.m. and sessions starting at 9 a.m. The program will finish around noon. The field day is at SIU’s Belleville Research Center on Illinois 161.
Program topics and presenters include:
• Managing Nitrogen for Corn, with Emerson Nafziger, professor of crop sciences, University of Illinois, and U of I Extension agronomist.
• Something Old and Something New for Your Weeding Days, with Karla Gage, assistant professor in the Department of Plant, Soil and Agricultural Systems at SIU, and Ron Krausz, farm manager and researcher at SIU’s Belleville Research Center.
• Crop Outlook, Input Decisions and Cash Rents for 2017 with Gary Schnitkey, professor in the Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics at the University of Illinois.
• Belleville Research Center: 50 Years of Climate and Counting, with Ben Miller and lead forecaster Mark Britt at the National Weather Service, St. Louis office.
• UAV Applications and Research in Agriculture for the 21st Century, with Chris Clemons, assistant professor of agriculture education at Auburn University.
• 50 Years – Soybean Research Success, with Jason Bond, professor in the Department of Plant, Soil and Agricultural Systems and Linda Kull, director of Strategic Research Programs with the Illinois Soybean Association.
Organizers have applied for 2.0 continuing education units for the field day. The SIU Belleville Research Center is on Illinois 161, south of the Scott Air Force Base-Mascoutah Gate. For more information, contact Ronald Krausz at 618/566-4761.