May 20, 2016
38th season of Sunset Concerts opens June 16
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The Sunset Concert Series, a popular tradition dating back nearly four decades, returns to Southern Illinois University and the city of Carbondale on June 16.
The 2016 season includes a wide variety of music, from rock-infused country and blues to Americana to reggae. The lineup is a mix of traditional and modern genres and includes the Latin Grammy-nominated band Locos por Juana.
Concerts begin at 7 p.m. each Thursday through July 28 and alternate between the steps of SIU’s Shryock Auditorium and Turley Park, on the west side of Carbondale. As always, the concerts are free and open to the public.
SIU’s Student Center and Student Programming Council along with the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District are the sponsors for the 38th season of the Sunset Concerts. Those attending are encouraged to bring blankets and lawn chairs for the family friendly concerts. Each lasts about two hours.
The 2016 Sunset Concert Series schedule, along with the concert location, type of music, and band website, includes:
- June 16 -- Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band from Nashville, Ind., Shryock, rock-infused country and blues, www.bigdamnband.com.
- June 23 -- Hope Country from St. Paul, Minn., Turley Park, Americana, www.hopecountrymusic.com.
- June 30 -- Josh Garrett Band of Houma, La., Shryock, Louisiana blues, www.joshgarrettmusic.com.
- July 7 -- DieDra and the Ruff Pro Band from Birmingham, Ala., Turley Park, blues/rhythm and blues, www.diedrathebluesdiva.com.
- July 14 -- Locos Por Juana of Miami, Fla., Shryock, bilingual Latin jam band, www.rtmp.com/locos-por-juana-1.
- July 21 -- Rusty Wright Band of Burton, Mich., Turley Park, classic rock, www.rustywrightband.com.
- July 28 -- Roots of a Rebellion from Nashville, Tenn., Shryock, reggae, www.rootsofarebellion.wordpress.com.
The concerts typically draw large crowds so to assure a safe and enjoyable time for all attending, there are a few restrictions. Rules prohibit glass bottles, pets and smoking. Underage drinking laws are enforced and only single-serve containers are permitted for those attending.
For more information about the 2016 Sunset Concert Series, contact the Office of Student Engagement at 618/536-3393, visit the website at www.studentcenter.siu.edu/activities/student-center-programs/sunset-concerts.html or follow the Student Center on Facebook or Twitter.