March 03, 2016
‘Celebrate Women’ recognizes faculty, staff and students
The 20th annual “Celebrate Women: Honoring Inclusive Excellence” luncheon today (March 3), recognizes the contributions of current faculty, staff and students, and former faculty, for their research, scholarly and creative achievements.
“I am always honored to celebrate women’s accomplishments at SIU Carbondale,” Linda McCabe Smith, associate chancellor for institutional diversity, said. “Our award recipients, who include academic scholars, mentors and students, serve as inspiration, motivation, and empowerment to the entire campus community.”
Two faculty members, Faith Y. Miller, associate professor and director of Dental Hygiene in the School of Allied Health, and Angela J. Aguayo, associate professor of cinema and photography in the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts, are the Judge William Holmes Cook Endowed Professorship recipients. The three-year appointments provide funds for scholarly work, and help increase and maintain diversity at the university.
Other award recipients are:
Research, Scholarly and Creative Activity Award
- Kristen Barber, assistant professor, sociology, and faculty affiliate in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.
- Michele Leigh, assistant professor, cinema and photography, cross-appointment in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.
- Stephanie Pink-Harper, assistant professor, political science, Master of Public Administration Program.
University Women’s Professional Advancement Mentoring Awards
- Rhetta Seymour, associate director, SIU McNair Scholarship program.
- Sue Liemer, professor and director, Lawyering Skills program, SIU School of Law.
Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Student Scholarships
- Julia Freeman, doctoral student, health education and recreation, Marlene Rotbart Matten Academic Excellence in Health Research Award.
- Jerrica Jordan, doctoral student, English, Elizabeth Eames Women’s Studies Graduate Scholarship.
- Jamie Lovell, first-year MFA student, School of Art and Design.
American Association of University Women Scholarships
- Kalyn Harker, first-year student, Physician Assistant Program, Graduate Scholarship.
- Darryl Mullally, first year student, School of Law, Joyce A. Kelly Memorial Scholarship.
- Lara Lyn Feltz, incoming Criminology and Criminal Justice student transferring from John A. Logan College, Lelia Marvin Scholarship.
- Cara Mundia, doctoral student, Environmental Resources and Policy, AAUW International Fellowship.
Women’s Intersport Network for Southern Illinois Awards (WIN SI)
- Courage Award -- Catherine Caldwell, senior lecturer, Center for English as a Second Language.
- Pioneer Award – Diane Dougherty, former SIU women’s golf coach.
- Mentor Award – Karrie Irvin-Jackson, Marion Junior High.
- Outstanding Female High School Athlete – Skylar Miller, Carbondale Community High School.