July 16, 2015
SIU plans to appoint interim chancellors at Carbondale, Edwardsville
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Southern Illinois University will move forward with the selection of interim chancellors for the Carbondale and Edwardsville campuses.
During today’s (July 16) Board of Trustees meeting at the SIU School of Medicine, board Chair Randal Thomas indicated the board has directed system President Randy Dunn to develop a plan to select an interim chancellor for a one-year appointment at SIU Edwardsville. The board also has directed Dunn to develop a recommendation of an interim chancellor for a two-year appointment for SIU Carbondale. Over the next month, he will consult with constituency groups and others on both campuses in the process of developing recommendations for the board to consider.
He anticipates presenting his recommendations at a future special meeting of the board.
Dunn has been serving as acting chancellor on the Carbondale campus since the unexpected death of Interim Chancellor Paul Sarvela last November. At SIUE, Chancellor Julie Furst-Bowe has resigned effective Aug. 14 to take a position with Chippewa Valley, Wis., Technical College.
“This will lead us to a logical succession in our leadership positions and move us forward,” Thomas said.
Board members also learned that Kevin Dorsey, dean of the SIU School of Medicine for the past 14 years, plans to return to the faculty at the end of 2015.
Also at today’s meeting, trustees approved:
- The appointment of Gregory Budzban as dean of SIUE’s College of Arts and Sciences, effective Aug. 1. Budzban has been a member of the math faculty at SIU Carbondale for the past 14 years; he chaired the department for the past five years.
- The appointment of law Professor Alice Noble-Allgire as acting director of SIU Carbondale’s School of Accountancy. Faculty in the school voted unanimously to nominate her for the position. Noble-Allgire earned her law degree summa cum laude from SIU in 1990, and joined the School of Law faculty in 1993.
- The appointment of Lyle White as interim dean of SIU Carbondale’s College of Education and Human Services. White, most recently a professor in the Department of Education Psychology and Special Education and Counselor Education Coordinator for the program, joined the faculty in 1989.
- The appointment of Lori Stettler, assistant vice chancellor for auxiliary services, as interim vice chancellor for Student Affairs at SIU Carbondale. She will continue overseeing auxiliary services as well.
- The appointment of Susan Ford as interim provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at SIU Carbondale. Ford was named acting provost and vice chancellor in September 2014.