May 26, 2015
Popular Sunset Concerts return for 37th year
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A popular summertime tradition returns to Carbondale for the 37th year when the Sunset Concert Series kicks off its 2015 season on June 18.
The series brings an eclectic variety of musical styles to the city for free concerts every Thursday evening through July 30. The venues include the steps of Shryock Auditorium on the Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus and Turley Park, on the west side of Carbondale.
SIU’s Student Center and Student Programming Council along with the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District sponsor the family friendly events. Everyone is welcome to attend and people are encouraged to bring blankets and lawn chairs.
The line-up includes bluegrass, rock, funk, reggae, blues and even Louisiana Creole. Each performance begins at 7 p.m. and lasts about two hours.
The 2015 Sunset Concert Series schedule features:
- June 18 -- Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Shryock, bluegrass http://hhgmusic.com/.
- June 25 -- UNRB, Turley Park, ska/rock, www.unrbmusic.com/.
- July 2 -- Chris Canas, Turley Park, blues, www.chriscanas.net.
- July 9 – Sam Lee, Shryock, rock, www.samleemusic.com.
- July 16 -- Charles Walker Band, Shryock, funk/rhythm and blues/blues, www.walkerband.com.
- July 23 -- Creole Stomp, Turley Park, Louisiana Creole, www.creolestomp.com/.
- July 30 -- The Ark Band, Shryock, reggae, www.thearkband.com/.
The concerts traditionally draw very large crowds so in order to assure a safe and enjoyable evening, there are a few restriction. Rules prohibit glass bottles, pets and smoking. Underage drinking laws will be enforced and only single serve containers are permitted for concert-goers.
For more information about the 2015 Sunset Concert Series, contact the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393, visit the website at www.studentcenter.siu.edu or follow the council on Facebook or Twitter.