May 14, 2015
Medical school honors employees
The School of Medicine has honored several employees for outstanding professionalism and excellence.
The 2014 Civil Service Employee of the Year is Lori Thompson, a library specialist from the Medical Library. Lori was recognized for creating one-day study breaks for students during annual exam periods and initiating several collection moves during the recent library renovation, helping the work stay within budget and on schedule.
The 2014 Civil Service Supervisor of the Year is Jill Zwick, a nurse administrator from the Department of Family and Community Medicine Quincy. Jill was recognized for her professionalism and compassion, and “going out of her way to always do the right thing,” according to one nominator.
A Carbondale staff member has also been recognized as Civil Service Employee of the Year for 2014. The award is given to an exemplary employee within the School of Medicine’s Carbondale offices, including the physician assistant program, MEDPREP, the Center for Rural Health and SIU’s Family Medicine clinic. Nominations are solicited from the entire School of Medicine-Carbondale personnel. Andrew Johnson, an information technology administrator/coordinator in Information Resources, was selected as the 2014 Employee of the Year. Nominators praised Andrew for his thoroughness, management skills and positive attitude.
The Frank J. Toth Research Award was presented to Chris Chambers, research laboratory coordinator in the Department of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology. The award recognizes non-faculty personnel whose work supports the School of Medicine’s research mission, and is bestowed to honor the memory of Frank Toth, who worked for many years as a chemist for the Environmental Protection Agency.
The School of Medicine also recognized its 2014 Civil Service Employees of the Month. They included:
- January -- Jason Johnson, Public Affairs
- February -- Brianne Farrell, Internal Medicine
- March -- Tammy Boyd, Neurology
- April -- Stacy Stoppelwerth, Internal Medicine
- May -- Jean Afflerbach, Education & Curriculum
- June -- Cheri Forsyth, Education & Curriculum
- July -- Jennifer Rodgers, Residency Affairs
- August -- Megan Reich, Surgery
- September -- Lori Thompson, Medical Library
- October -- Stephanie George, Surgery
- November -- Rebecca Kelly, Psychiatry
- December -- Mary Curry, Compliance