May 13, 2015
Media Advisory -- SIU Carbondale Commencement
Reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to cover any of SIU Carbondale’s commencement ceremonies on Friday and Saturday, May 15 and 16. There are 3,208 candidates for degrees (including 3,134 for the Carbondale campus and 74 for the School of Medicine’s Springfield graduation). Below find general information for covering the ceremonies and details about time, location and speakers for each ceremony.
- Members of the media covering the 9 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. ceremonies on Saturday may park in lot 52 on the southwest side of the SIU Arena.
- Media representatives covering the 1:30 p.m. ceremony are asked to check in at lot 52. There will be two stations for members of the media within the arena: Broadcast reporters needing a mult box and/or camera platform will be stationed at the back of the arena (please check in with Rod Sievers), while all other media representatives will be stationed in a reserved section on the southwest end of the main level (please check in with Rae Goldsmith). The processional starts at 1:15 p.m.; members of the media who are not in place by 1:15 will be asked to wait until the end of the processional before entering. Media representatives may not move about the arena at any time during the ceremony unless they are leaving the building. In the interest of security, members of the media are asked to remain in place until the governor leaves the facility.
- As is standard practice, visitors at all commencement ceremonies will be asked to check signs, balloons and other items that will disrupt the view of attendees.
- Bags are subject to search; visitors with bags should allow additional time.
- An external area on the south side of the building, west of the stairs, has been established for protestors.
- Contact: Rae Goldsmith, chief communications officer, SIU Carbondale, 618-453-2589 (office) or 618-303-9997 (cell).
- 3 p.m. Friday, May 15, Shryock Auditorium: School of Law
U.S. District Judge Nancy J. Rosentengal, a 1993 law school graduate, is the commencement speaker.
- 9 a.m. Saturday, May 16, SIU Arena: College of Agricultural Sciences, College of Liberal Arts, College of Science, School of Medicine
Former Illinois Gov. Jim Edgar is the commencement speaker and will receive an honorary Doctor of Humane Arts degree. Michael J. “Mike” Lawrence, former director of the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute, and surgeon and university philanthropist Dr. Marsha G. Ryan will receive distinguished service awards.
- 1:30 p.m. Saturday, May 16, SIU Arena: College of Business, College of Education and Human Services
Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner is the commencement speaker, and the late Dixie Fortis will receive an honorary Doctor of Commerce degree posthumously.
- 3 p.m. Saturday, May 16, Sangamon Auditorium, University of Illinois Springfield: School of Medicine
Dr. Michael LaComb, professor of medicine and medical humanities at the University of New England and cardiologist at Maine General Medical Center, is the commencement speaker.
- 5:30 p.m., Saturday, May 16, SIU Arena: College of Applied Sciences and Arts, College of Engineering, College of Mass Communication and Media Arts
Alumnus and retired United Airlines Capt. William R. Norwood, a former member of the SIU Board of Trustees, is the commencement speaker and will receive an honorary Doctor of Aviation Science degree.