April 09, 2015
Inaugural Saluki Service Days set for April 13-18
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale students will be giving of their time and energy to better the campus and surrounding community during the inaugural Saluki Service Days set for Monday through Saturday, April 13-18.
The various SIU Auxiliary Services units are collaborating to offer opportunities for Salukis to help others on-campus as well as at off-campus venues as they earn community service or university service hours. Students will be collecting food for those in need, cleaning up various locations around the university and in the community, and much more. Some will even shave their heads to raise money to fight childhood cancer.
The schedule for Saluki Service Days includes:
- Monday, April 13 -- kickoff for the Canned Food Drive sponsored by the National Residence Hall Honorary and the Sustainability Office. Anyone is welcome to drop off canned goods in the special donation bins located in the residence halls and the Student Center. Food will be collected through noon on Saturday, April 18, and all of it will be donated to the Good Samaritan House and the Wesley Student Food Pantry.
- Tuesday, April 14 -- St. Baldrick’s Day event. Students and staff from the National Residence Hall Honorary, Residence Hall Association and leaders in Fraternity and Sorority Life at SIU are taking pledges and donations and volunteers who reach their fundraising goals will shave their heads between 6 and 7 p.m. at Grinnell Hall. Proceeds will go to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to help fund childhood cancer research. A snack sale fundraiser will accompany the event and everyone is welcome. Those who wish to donate may also do so at https://www.stbaldricks.org/teams/mypage/98941/2015. The goal is to raise at least $3,000 for cancer research.
- Wednesday, April 15 -- Trail Cleanup at Touch of Nature Environmental Center. Volunteers will work from 12:15 to 3:45 p.m. and 3:45 to 7 p.m., clearing the trails and giving the camp a spring touchup. Transportation will be provided for students to the environmental center, located about eight miles south of Carbondale off Giant City Road. Transportation departs from the front doors of the Student Center at 12:15 p.m. and 12:45 p.m.
- Thursday, April 16 -- Earth Day preparation, students will be working in shifts from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Student Center to organize and prepare for the big annual Earth Day celebration set for April 22.
- Friday, April 17 -- Local Organic Garden Initiative of Carbondale (LOGIC) site cleanup, 2-4 p.m. at the garden located near the SIU farms, preparing the plot for spring planting. Created by the LOGIC registered student organization, the garden produces food for University Housing dining halls and sells some of the produce to maintain the garden.
- Saturday, April 18 -- Students will meet at the Student Center and from 8 a.m. to noon join members of the greater Carbondale community clearing trash and cleaning up the area as part of Keep Carbondale Beautiful. The SIU group will primarily focus on the area surrounding campus. Students may also come to the city’s main event at Turley Park.
Students are asked to sign up in advance, particularly for the Trail Cleanup and the LOGIC project, to allow organizers to have ample transportation arrangements made. To sign up, or for more information, visit http://sustainability.siu.edu/get-involved/salukiservicedays.html.
Additional details are also available by contacting Justin Schuch, coordinator of residential leadership and engagement for University Housing, at 618/536-2480 or by emailing email@example.com. Schuch is one of those volunteering to shave their heads if the St. Baldrick’s fundraising goals are met and he, along with Kris Schachel, sustainability coordinator, are coordinating the Saluki Service Days.