January 26, 2015
Search committee for next SIU Carbondale chancellor to begin work
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- SIU System President Randy Dunn has appointed a search committee to seek a new chancellor for the Carbondale campus. The committee will be co-chaired by Carl Flowers, director of the university’s Rehabilitation Institute, and Meera Komarraju, chair and professor of the Department of Psychology.
“The committee will meet this week to receive its charge and then move forward with a goal of having a new chancellor on board by the beginning of the fall semester,” Dunn said.
“Committee members bring to their roles a commitment to SIU and its many stakeholders,” he added. “I have confidence that their work will lead to the appointment of an outstanding chancellor prepared to deal with the university’s challenges and opportunities.”
Committee members are listed below.
- Laurie Achenbach, dean, College of Science
- Linda Baker, university professor, Paul Simon Public Policy Institute
- Deborah Burris, clinical associate professor, Teacher Education
- Kenneth Buzbee, former state senator
- Terry Clark, professor, Marketing
- Judith Davie, associate professor, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Co-chair Carl Flowers, director, Rehabilitation Institute
- Carolin Harvey, accountant, Registrar’s Office
- Bethany Henning, doctoral student, Philosophy
- Randy Hughes, associate professor, Mathematics
- Kathy Jones, associate athletic director, Intercollegiate Athletics
- Co-chair Meera Komarraju, chair and professor, Psychology
- James MacLean, associate professor, Physiology
- Christina McIntyre, associate professor, Curriculum and Instruction
- Karen Midden, associate dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences and professor, Landscape Architecture and Plant, Soil and Agricultural Systems
- Marsha Ryan, physician and surgeon, alumnus and past president of the SIU Foundation
- Cameron Shulak, undergraduate student, Aviation Management
- Woody Thorne, vice president of community affairs, Southern Illinois Healthcare (SIH)
Ex officio members of the committee are Matt Baughman, assistant to the chancellor; John Haller, special assistant to the president; and Adrian Miller, student member of the Board of Trustees.
The committee is seeking a replacement for SIU Interim Chancellor Paul Sarvela, who passed away unexpectedly in November. Dunn is fulfilling the chancellor’s responsibilities until a new chancellor is appointed.