January 26, 2015
Athletics director search committee appointed
The committee that will lead the search for a new director of intercollegiate athletics has been appointed by SIU System President Randy Dunn. Dunn said the committee will begin work immediately, and he hopes to fill the position this spring.
Committee members are:
- Terri Harfst, director, Office of Financial Aid, committee chair
- Dr. Roger Herrin, member of the SIU Board of Trustees
- Oscar Medina, student, president of the Student Athletic Advisory Committee
- Faith Miller, associate professor, Dental Hygiene
- Julie A. Partridge, associate professor, Sport and Exercise Psychology, and NCAA faculty athletic representative
- Connie Price-Smith, head coach, Track and Field
- Joel Sambursky, former Saluki student-athlete
- Barry A. Smith, former Saluki student-athlete and past president, SIU Alumni Association
- Alyssa Wunderlich, student, member of the SIU softball team
- Matt Baughman, assistant to the chancellor (ex officio)
- Julie McDannel, administrative business associate, chancellor’s office (ex officio)
The advisory committee will seek a replacement for Mario Moccia, who became athletics director at New Mexico State University earlier this month. Harold Bardo, former director of the SIU Carbondale Medical/Dental Education Preparatory Program and faculty representative to the athletic program for 15 years, is serving as interim director of intercollegiate athletics pending the appointment of a permanent replacement.