June 02, 2014
Song, dance to highlight ‘Singing with the Stars’
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Mix “The Gong Show” with “American Idol, ” add good-humored local community personalities who have the courage to step on stage and you have “Singing with the Stars 2014” at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Hosted by the Friends of McLeod Summer Playhouse the event started in 2006. The evening of song and laughs includes community leaders taking the stage to sing Broadway show tunes as they compete for the title of “MSP Idol of the Year.” The winner is by popular vote – and since this is a fundraiser, audience members buy votes for $1 apiece, or six for $5.
This year’s event begins at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, June 6, in the McLeod Theater in the Communications Building.
This year’s participants are:
- Bryan Black, general manager of Napa Auto Parts.
- Illinois 115th District State Rep. Mike Bost, R-Murphysboro.
- Meghan Cole, Carbondale Main Street executive director.
- Kathy Fralish, SIU professor emeritus and president/founder of Southern Illinois Healthcare Enterprises, Inc.
- Lance Jack, owner, Fat Patties.
- Dr. Anna C. Little, pediatrician.
- Chris McKinley, owner, Dayshift Boutique.
- Barb Segretario, Miss Marion Main Street event and pageant coordinator.
- Gary Walkup, retiring rental manager for Vogler Ford.
- Special guests, Anita Hutton, past assistant to the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, with Tim Fink, professor of opera and music theater.
The judges are:
• J. Phil Gilbert, senior U.S. District Judge, Southern District of Illinois.
• Gary Metro, editor, The Southern Illinoisan.
• Elaine Ramseyer, owner, Longbranch Coffee House.
Pat Benton, formerly of Magic 95.1 radio and founder of Pat’s Kids, will serve as master of ceremonies.
Tickets are $35 per person and include wine, soft drinks, appetizers and desserts – along with all the entertainment a person can enjoy. Tickets are available at 618/453-6000, online at playhouse.siu.edu, or in person at the McLeod Theater or SIU Arena box office. The McLeod Theater box office is open from noon to 5 p.m. and also beginning one hour before the performance.