May 19, 2014
36th annual Sunset Concert Series begins June 12
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The Sunset Concert Series is back for its 36th season and will bring an eclectic mix of sounds to the Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus and the city’s Turley Park.
The series of seven free concerts kicks off at 7 p.m. on June 12 featuring Eddie Shaw, a 2014 Blues Hall of Fame inductee, and the Wolfgang. The concerts are each Thursday evening thereafter in June and July and alternate between campus and Turley Park.
The concerts on the campus will be in a new location – the lawn area near the Troutt–Wittmann Academic and Training Center and Lot 89A. Due to construction at Old Main Mall, the concerts will take place in the area of Saluki Row tailgate activities on the hillside north of the SIU Arena and northwest of Saluki Stadium.
Parking is available in the SIU Arena parking lots and across from the Student Center. Parking is not allowed on Lincoln Drive or Douglas Drive.
The events are family friendly, with those attending encouraged to bring chairs or blankets. Pets, solicitation, underage drinking and glass bottles and multiple serving containers are prohibited.
Each performance begins at 7 p.m. and lasts about two hours. The featured styles vary from Chicago blues to country rock and from hip hop to reggae.
The 2014 Sunset Concert Series features:
- June 12 -- Eddie Shaw and the Wolfgang, Lot 89A hillside at SIU, Chicago blues, www.eddieshawsax.com.
- June 19 -- Classical Blast, Turley Park, classic rock and roll, www.classicalblast.com.
- June 26 -- HotSauce, SIU campus, rhythm and blues/rock/hip hop, www.hotsaucemusic.com.
- July 3 -- Scarletta, Turley Park, country rock, www.scarlettamusic.com.
- July 10 -- Dinner and a Suit, SIU campus, rock/pop, www.dinnerandasuit.com.
- July 17 -- Delta Saints, Turley Park, Delta Blues/rock, www.thedeltasaints.com.
- July 24 -- Gizzae, SIU campus, reggae, www.gizzae.com
The university’s Student Center and Student Programming Council along with the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District sponsor the concerts.
For more information, visit www.studentcenter.siu.edu or contact the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393.