December 12, 2013
Save SIU energy over the holiday break
Faculty and staff are asked to help the university conserve energy and control costs over the holiday break by following some simple suggestions before leaving campus:
- Turn off all lights,
- Turn off office equipment such as fax machines, copiers and printers that can be turned off without affecting campus operations,
- If possible, turn off computers; however, because information technology will be conducting remote maintenance the weekends of Dec. 14-15 and 21-22 (see separate announcement), leave computers on if you will not be in the office between these dates.
- Unplug any items that have a clock or timer, such as coffee pots and microwaves,
- Properly shut all outside windows and doors,
- Set thermostats back to 65 F, and
- Shut off any laboratory equipment that does not jeopardize safety or ongoing research.
With the assistance of faculty and staff, the university can conserve energy, reduce expenses and promote environmental stewardship.