October 15, 2013
Media Advisory – New Student Services Building
Reporters, photographers and video crews are invited to a walk-through of the new Student Services Building at Southern Illinois University Carbondale at 9:15 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16.
SIU Chancellor Rita Cheng and Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance Kevin Bame will take members of the press through the four-story building at the entryway to campus. Please meet in the front of the building, which is on Lincoln Drive just off of South Illinois Avenue.
The building will officially open with a public ribbon-cutting ceremony at 11:45 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19.
ABOUT THE STUDENT SERVICES BUILDING
SIU’s new signature building is designed to bring together the university’s key student services in one location to provide seamless, one-stop service. Students and visitors to the $36.6 million building, paid for entirely with student fees, are welcomed by a four-story atrium entryway lit by a 45-foot, 6-inch fixture of color-changing orb pendants. The lobby is decorated with bright, abstract banners that incorporate images of SIU students and structures.
Currently in the building are the offices of undergraduate admissions, University College, financial aid, and the registrar and bursar. Other offices scheduled to move as the upper floors of the building are completed include the graduate school, transfer student services, university housing and the dean of students.
Green concepts incorporated into the building:
- Daylight harvesting systems that conserve energy by monitoring external light coming into the building and adjusting internal light accordingly.
- Motion-sensor office lighting that saves energy.
- Elevators with regenerative drive systems that capture energy generated by descending elevators for use elsewhere in the building.
- Synthetics slate roofing made up of 80 percent recycled materials; the roof has a life span of 50 years.
- Water-efficient landscaping that does not require an irrigation system.
Other building facts:
- Square footage: 129,263 square feet, including the basement
- Atrium glass: 3,600 square feet
- Height: 69 feet, 3 inches above finished floor at its tallest point
- Bricks: Approximately 102,324 standard modular bricks
- Granite: 13,500 square feet
- Terrazzo: 25,900 square feet
- Number of staff slated to occupy the building: approximately 425
- Architect: White & Borgognoni Architects, P.C., Carbondale, Ill.
- Construction hours: 195,532 by 423 contract employees over 18 months
About Saturday’s ribbon-cutting:
- Students, faculty, staff, community members and contractors who worked on the building are invited
- Speakers will include:
- SIU President Glenn Poshard
- SIU Chancellor Rita Cheng (who will also serve as emcee)
- Interim Dean of Students Katie Sermersheim
- Adrian Miller, president, Undergraduate Student Government
- Blaine Tisdale, president, Graduate and Professional Student Council
- After brief remarks, students, speakers and selected guests will surround the building and cut 1,000 feet of ribbon simultaneously to mark its official opening
The building will be open for self-guided tours following the ribbon-cutting.
For more information, contact Rae Goldsmith, chief marketing and communications officer, at 618/303-9997.