September 23, 2013
Continuing education conferences on tap
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A diverse assortment of fall conferences at Southern Illinois University Carbondale will draw a variety of audiences and experts.
Continuing Education and Outreach is coordinating the events that will bring hundreds of school officials, those involved with media and communication, along with dental and health professionals to campus and several off-campus locations. The conferences also provide special learning opportunities for students.
The conference schedule, along with a brief description of each conference, participants, and other pertinent details, includes:
• The 17th annual SI Education Law and Labor Conference on Wednesday, Sept. 25, in the Student Center Ballrooms. Jonathon E. Monken, director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency, will provide the keynote address “School Safety is Everyone’s Responsibility” at noon. He will also present one of the breakout sessions. Elizabeth Lewin, clinical assistant professor of educational administration and higher education, is conference director for an event that will bring about 100 principals, superintendents, school board members, education officials and graduate students to campus.
Reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to cover the keynote address by Jonathon E. Monken at noon Sept. 25 at the Student Center. Monken will also be available to speak with media from 2 to 2:30 p.m. that day.
• The Global Fusion 2013 Conference is Oct. 4-6 at the Communications Building. This is the first time this international conference, which promotes excellence in global media and international communication studies, will take place on the SIU campus. The theme of the event is “Mediations: Movements and Markets” and co-sponsors include SIU, Ohio University, Temple University in Philadelphia, Texas A&M University and the University of Texas at Austin. Students, faculty and others will participate in a conference that highlights the media’s role in public and private sectors.
• The Illinois Symposium on Reproductive Sciences is Oct. 13-14 at the Touch of Nature Environmental Center. This is the first time SIU will host the event, which serves as a forum for the exchange of ideas and to perpetuate thinking and research to advance reproductive science. Trainees, young investigators and senior scientists will attend. Nancy Weigel, professor of molecular and cellular biology at Baylor College of Medicine will provide the Oct. 13 keynote presentation, while Blanche Capel, professor of cell biology at Duke University, will present the Gabriel Bialy Lecture in Reproductive Science on Oct. 14.
• The Dental Professionals Seminar is Oct. 18 in the Student Center auditorium and International Lounge. Dentists, dental hygienists and other dental professionals and teams will participate and the theme is “Periodontal Therapy for the Laser Hygienist,” exploring the benefits of soft tissue dental lasers in dental practices. Angie Mott, registered dental hygienist and an authority about laser hygiene, will present the workshop which also features exhibits, networking and more.
• The Mid-America College Health Association Annual Conference is Nov. 6-8 at the Student Center. This year’s theme is ”Partnering for a Healthier Generation.” Conference organizers anticipate college health professionals from 60 to 75 institutions in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Kentucky and Ontario, Canada will attend.
Details about each of the conferences are available online at https://www.dce.siu.edu. More information is also available by calling SIU Continuing Education at 618/536-7751.