May 24, 2013
SIU Craft Shop offers endless summer learning fun
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s Craft Shop is offering multiple opportunities this summer for children to combine learning with fun through activities designed especially for them.
With the chance to draw, sew, knit and make pottery, children will be able to enhance their artistic abilities or learn new crafts.
The Craft Shop welcomes walk-ins and offers private lessons for those who learn better on an individual level. The shop is open from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday during the summer months.
A sample of the summer 2013 workshops available for children includes:
- Kids Art Summer School allows children ages 7-12 to experience many of the Craft Shop’s favorite activities: sculpture, pottery making, duct tape, wax hands, wood working, printing, a field trip to the University Museum and much more. The cost is $90. Section one is June 10-14; Section two is July 15-19. Classes for each section run from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
- Kids Drawing allows children ages 6-10 to learn perspective, shading, contour, composition, and other techniques. The cost is $45 and includes materials. Section one is June 17-21; Section two is July 22-24. Classes for each section run from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Kids Sewing, July 9-11, from 10 a.m. to noon, gives children ages 8-14 the chance to learn how to use and operate a sewing machine as well as learn how to make a pillow, wish catcher and hobo backpack. The cost is $35.
- Kids Woodworking, July 9-12, from 1 to 4:30 p.m., gives children ages 7-12 p.m. the opportunity to learn to follow a plan, cut out wood using hand tools, then nail and screw the wood together and make projects such as sculptures, boats, toolboxes, or bird houses. The cost is $40.
- Kids Pottery allows children ages 7-12 the chance to throw on the pottery wheel and create by hand items from clay. The cost is $45. Section one is June 17-19; Section two is July 24-26. Classes for each section run from 2 to 5 p.m.
- Water Bottle Rocket, July 23, 1:30-4 p.m., is for children and parents must also present. Children will build a bottle rocket that will fly 100 feet in the air. Participants will recycle a 2-liter bottle, decorate it to their personal aerospace specifications, build the launcher, and be able to enjoy hours of wet summer fun in the back yard. Materials are included along with the construction instructions. The cost is $20.
- Kids Outdoor Image Making allows children ages 7-12 to make prints from the sun and from plants. They will take home pictures and a decorated frame they can display their prints in. The cost is $20. Section one is July 11; Section two is July 25. Classes for each section run from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Kids Knitting, June 11-13, 10 a.m. to noon, is an entry-level knitting course for children ages 8-14. They will learn to knit a scarf. The cost is $35 for one child, or $60 for two children. Participants will need Size 10 needles, which is not included in the cost of the class.
- Family Knitting, July 30-Aug. 1, 10 a.m.-noon, is an entry-level knitting course where families can learn together to knit a scarf. Adults and children are welcome. The cost is $35 per person or $60 for two. Size 10 needles are required, and are not included in workshop cost.
Each summer workshop session has a minimum and maximum enrollment level, so early registration is encouraged to make sure you get a spot in the classes of your choice. Some workshops require additional materials.
For additional details or to register up for any of the classes, workshops or private lessons, visit the website at http://studentcenter.siu.edu/things-to-do/craft-shop/ , call 618/453-3636, email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the shop on the lower level of the Student Center.