April 11, 2013
Earth Day 2013 activities planned at SIU
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale will celebrate Earth Day 2013 with a variety of special activities spread over six days, April 22-27.
The Student Center and other campus units and organizations will highlight the University’s environmentally friendly initiatives and efforts. The celebration kicks off with the annual Earth Day Green Fair on Monday, April 22, the day of the actual observance.
There will be competitions and prizes throughout the day in locations across campus. You can even win a new bicycle. Visit www.studentcenter.siu.edu/earthday for details.
The schedule for Earth Day includes:
- Green Fair -- 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Student Center Roman Room, featuring a variety of special displays pertaining to sustainability.
- Free bicycle repair -- 11 a.m.- 2 p.m., south entrance of the Student Center, get free minor bicycle repairs courtesy of the Craft Shop.
- Open house and free tours of the Agriculture Building green roof and living wall -- Noon-2 p.m., meet at the greenhouses near the Agriculture Building.
- Build a solar oven workshop -- 4-6 p.m., Student Center Craft Shop. Learn how to conserve energy and gain independence from the power grid with your own solar oven you can use to bake bread or cook your dinner. The cost of the workshop is $20 for SIU students or $25 for anyone else and includes materials. The class requires a minimum of three people and maximum of 10.
- Free film screening of "Chasing Ice" -- 7-9 p.m., Student Center Auditorium. Discussion will follow.
The Student Center will host an Earth Day Letter Writing Campaign on April 23, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This is an opportunity for students, faculty and staff to write letters to government officials to ask for support of and action related to food sustainability.
There will be an Upcycle and Repair Jewelry workshop that day as well, from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Student Center Craft Shop. Participants can bring their old broken jewelry and found objects and repair them or use them to create totally new pieces. Those attending can restring beads, attach clasps, jump rings, drill shells and glass and more. The cost to participate is $15 for SIU students or $20 for the general public. Materials are extra. There will be a minimum of three and maximum of eight participants for this activity.
The “green” activities continue on April 26, with a L.O.G.I.C. workday. Everyone is welcome to come to the Local Organic Garden Initiative of Carbondale, located at the University Farms on Pleasant Hill Road near the Vermicomposting Center. Work is beginning on the 2013 garden plot.
A Carbondale Farmers Market Shuttle is set for 9 a.m. to noon on April 27, to allow students without transportation to check out the farmers’ market and see all of the produce and natural products available. The shuttle will pick riders up at Thompson Point and Brush Towers every hour, on the hour, that morning.
For more information about Earth Day 2013 activities, call 618/453-2846 or look online at studentcenter.siu.edu/earthday/.