April 01, 2013
Outside the Box music festival begins April 3
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- One of the key components of the annual Outside the Box Music Festival at Southern Illinois University Carbondale is student interaction. This year, former SIU Carbondale students who are now professional musicians will return to the University to share their music and experiences.
Outside the Box begins Wednesday, April 3, and runs through April 15. Festival creator and coordinator Kathleen Ginther said the festival challenges students to embrace New Music, an often experimental and difficult genre. The rewards include working closely with visiting composers who introduce the students not only to their music, but also give them a glimpse of the interconnected world of professional musicians.
A full schedule of performances, biography information about all of the guest musicians and composers, and a complete list of SIU School of Music faculty participating in the festival is available at the Outside the Box website at www.otbsiu.com.
Here are some highlight performances.
- Thursday, April 4, 5:30 p.m., Altgeld Hall, Room 110 -- The SIU Improv Unit, directed by Ron Coulter, accompaniment William O. Smith. Free admission.
- Friday, April 5, 7:30 p.m., Old Baptist Foundation Recital Hall -- Original music by SIU composers, guest musician Jeffery Gavett, presented by the Altgeld Chamber Players under the direction of Eric Mandat. Free admission.
- Sunday, April 7, 3 p.m., Jazz at Blue Sky Vineyard – Special guest Bill Smith. Admission: $5.
- April 8, 7:30 p.m., Shryock Auditorium -- Film: “Metropolis,” with the Alloy Orchestra. Screening of a 1927 specially restored silent film, “Metropolis.” Tickets are $8; free admission to SIU students with valid student identification.
- April 10, 7:30 p.m., Shryock Auditorium -- SIU Concert Choir, SIU Choral Union, directed by Susan Davenport, and SIU Wind Ensemble, conducted by Christopher Morehouse, with guest composer Frank Ferko, featuring SIU’s Yuko Kato on piano. Tickets are $12 for general public, $6 for students.
- April 12, 5 p.m., Old Baptist Foundation Recital Hall -- Altgeld Chamber Players present original music from SIU composers and George Flynn, guest composer and pianist. Free admission.
- April 13, 7:30 p.m., Old Baptist Foundation Recital Hall -- SIU Alum Composers and Sever Tipei. Free admission.
- April 15, 7:30 p.m., Altgeld Hall, Room 112 -- SIU Percussion Group, directed by Ron Coulter, featuring guest Lawrence Axelrod. Free admission.
The festival will also host the annual spring Emerging Composers concert, which highlights the work of current SIU students.