January 16, 2013
University Housing student employees earn honors
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s University Housing continues to show its winning ways as student employees won various national and regional awards for the fall 2012 semester.
Shane Kenealy, a freshman studying special education, is the most recent national award winner for National Residence Hall Honorary. Kenealy won the national first-year student of the month award for November 2012.
First Year Student awards are given to first-year student leaders who excel in adapting to a new environment within their residence hall and take and active role within their community.
National Residence Hall Honorary is the nationwide recognition branch of the National Association of College and University Residence Halls. The NRHH’s “Of the Month” program encourages people on university campuses to write nominations each month in recognition of noteworthy individuals and programs in a number of categories.
Kenealy is just one of many monthly award winners at the University. Other national and regional award winners, listed by month with major, year at SIU Carbondale, and the award won, are:
- John Hughey, a graduate student majoring in higher education, regional Spotlight of the Month.
- Travis Gibler, a graduate student majoring in higher education, national Adviser of the Month.
- McKenzie Whitaker, a graduate student majoring in higher education, national Resident Life Staff of the Month.
- Nicole Carlen, a senior majoring in agricultural systems, national Resident Assistant of the Month.
- Jennifer Skiersch, a junior elementary education major, regional Spotlight of the Month.
- Chad Beights, a non-declared graduate student, regional Staff Member of the Month.