January 03, 2013
Flag football team to compete for national title
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A team from Southern Illinois University Carbondale will compete this week at the NIRSA NCCS National Flag Football Championships at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, Fla.
The championships are Jan. 4 through Jan. 6. SIU-No Punt Intended, the co-recreational team that will compete this weekend, plays its first game at 11:30 a.m., Friday, Jan. 4. The game will be available for viewing online at http://rwc.sdes.ucf.edu/nccs/.
The team earned its national championship playoff berth by winning one of the eight regional championships in November. More than 40 teams will compete in Florida, including about 15 co-recreational teams.
The trip marks a second consecutive trip to the national tournament for many members of SIU’s 12-member team. The team competed in the University’s Intramural Sports program during the fall 2012 semester.
Members of the SIU Carbondale team, listed by hometown along with year in school and major, are:
- Christopher Kern, senior, civil engineering.
- Scott Polczynski, junior, accounting.
- Jenna Schneider, senior, accounting.
- Natalie Squillo, junior, exercise science.
- Emily Berglin, senior, administration of justice.
- Jenna Harre, junior, physical therapist assistant.
- Jordan Meinert, senior, agribusiness economics.
- Jacob Seeger, master’s student, kinesiology.
- Michael Wilson, senior, biological sciences.
- Karissa Koulis, freshman, pre-nursing.
- Stephanie Murray, senior, biological sciences.
- Dayton Dalman, senior, sport administration.