August 30, 2012
Wellness Center sponsoring free fall workshops
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A series of workshops at Southern Illinois University Carbondale this semester will offer information on a variety of topics relating to health and well-being.
The Student Health Services’ Wellness Center is again offering free presentations that will feature the latest and most accurate information available. The public is welcome to attend the sessions in the Student Health Center Auditorium, 374 E. Grand Ave. in Carbondale.
The fall 2012 Wellness Workshops schedule, with a brief description of each session, includes:
- I Have to Do ALL That? -- Sept. 6, 3 p.m. Learn how to balance classes, homework, a job, and still have time for fun.
- Spiritual Health -- Sept. 18, 5 p.m. Caring for oneself involves connecting and taking care of spiritual health as well as physical health.
- Safety Sensibilities -- Sept. 24, 6 p.m. Learn sensible, common personal safety tips.
- Coming Out and Living Openly: Building a Support Network -- Oct. 4, 2 p.m. Learn about the active support networks that help lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) people come out and live openly.
- Mental Fitness -- Oct. 11, 3 p.m. The mind and body affect one another and influence overall health, and this session will offer help dealing with depression and anxiety.
- Cheers! -- Oct. 17, 3 p.m. This session explores the truth about alcohol use and examines questions including “Is drinking beer better for you than hard liquor?”
- Inked -- Oct. 30, 3 p.m. Learn how to get the best looking individualized tattoo in the safest way possible.
- Behind the Screen: Being Privately Violent in Public Spaces -- Nov. 7, 5 p.m. This presentation explores the way some people believe the online world gives them license to engage in verbal, emotional and psychological attacks.
- Holiday Eating, Nov. 15 -- 2 p.m. Here are tips for navigating the buffet table -- avoid overeating and maintain a sufficient activity level during the holidays.
- Baggage: The Interactive Dating Show -- Nov. 27, 3 p.m. Watch peers “play the game” of dating as you learn ways to have healthy relationships.
- Worried About Finals? -- Dec. 5, 4 p.m. Test anxiety doesn’t have to equal brain freeze if you learn how to improve your focus, reduce text anxiety and get motivated.
University students can receive confirmation of attendance upon request after each workshop if needed for classes.
The center also offers educational information on a variety of topics including nutrition, stress management, substance abuse, violence prevention and more.
For more information about the workshops, the Student Health Services Wellness Center, and the services it provides, look online at www.shc.siu.edu or call 618/536-4441.