May 22, 2012
Art-design students earn Windgate scholarships
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The School of Art and Design at Southern Illinois University Carbondale announced the winners of this year’s Windgate Foundation Scholarships.
The Windgate Foundation Scholarships originate with the Windgate Charitable Foundation, located in Siloam Springs, Ark., which pledged $500,000 to the School of Art and Design if the school could match the money. Several fundraising efforts that were already in place, along with a specific direct mail campaign, helped the school match the challenge gift. The inaugural scholarships were awarded in 2010. The funds will also support faculty and student projects.
This year’s scholarship recipients for the Windgate Charitable Foundation Educational Opportunity Scholarship are:
• Nicholas Daunis, senior, Carbondale
• Hattie Phillips, senior, Norris City
• Roscoe Ward, senior, Champaign
• Daniel Widolff, senior, West Brooklyn
This scholarship goes to current art or design majors who have demonstrated a combination of talent, effort and financial need. Successful applicants include a statement of goals and an artist portfolio.
This year’s scholarship recipients for the Windgate Charitable Foundation Undergraduate Research Grant Scholarship are:
• Dylan Bettis, senior, Downs
• Shana Loconsole, senior, PlainfieldThis scholarship is meant to offset research expenses, including materials, or the cost of study at a specialized institution other than SIU Carbondale. Eligible institutions include discipline-specific schools such as the Pilchuck Glass School, or other specialized art programs and research opportunities such as those offered at the Smithsonian Institution. Successful applicants include a resume or curriculum vitae and a statement about what they hope to achieve while visiting the other art school or research site.