May 02, 2012
34th annual Sunset Concert series begins June 14
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- One of the highlights of Southern Illinois summers is the Sunset Concert Series, bringing good music and good times to Carbondale for the 34th year.
The popular summer performances kick off at 7 p.m. on Thursday, June 14, on the steps of Shryock Auditorium. The first concert of 2012 features the alternative rock/pop band South Jordan. The free weekly concerts continue each Thursday evening through the end of July with the venue alternating between the Shryock steps and Turley Park on Carbondale’s west side.
Everyone is welcome to attend. The eclectic blend of musical offerings will treat music-lovers to the sounds of new country, contemporary blues, ragtime/dirty jazz, pop, Americana/folk rock, reggae and alternative rock/pop.
The concerts are family friendly events with those attending welcome to bring their blankets and lawn chairs. The University’s Student Center and Student Programming Council along with the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District sponsor the Sunset Concert Series.
Here’s the schedule for the 2012 Sunset Concert Series, with each performance beginning at 7 p.m. and lasting about two hours:
• June 14 -- South Jordan, Shryock, alternative/rock/pop, http://www.southjordanmusic.com/.
• June 21 -- Blend 328, Turley Park, new country, http://www.blended328.com/.
• June 28 -- James Armstrong, Shryock, contemporary blues, http://jarmblues.com/.
• July 5 -- Blair Crimmins & the Hookers, Turley Park, ragtime/dirty jazz, http://www.blaircrimminsandthehookers.com/.
• July 12 -- The Well Reds, Shryock, alternative/rock/pop, http://thewellreds.com.
• July 19 -- The Vespers, Turley Park, Americana/folk rock, http://thevespersband.com/.
• July 26 -- The Ark Band, Shryock Steps, reggae, http://thearkband.com.
A few restrictions are in place to assure that everyone has an enjoyable but safe experience. Rules prohibit glass bottles, kegs, pets and solicitation. There’s strict enforcement of underage drinking laws and regulations permit responsible use of alcohol within designated areas only from 6 p.m. until the concerts conclude.
For more information about the 2012 Sunset Concert Series, contact the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393 or visit the website http://spc4fun.com/.