January 30, 2012
Wellness Center plans spring workshops
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- You can find the latest information about various health and well-being topics at the spring semester Wellness Workshops at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
The Student Health Services’ Wellness Center offers the free presentations featuring the most current and accurate information available on a variety of subjects. The public is welcome to attend any of the workshops. All will take place in the Student Health Center Auditorium.
The spring 2012 workshop schedule includes:
• Holiday Food Hangover: Get Your Eating Back on Track, Feb. 1, 4:30 p.m. Did you gain a bit of unwanted weight over the holiday break? This session offers helpful information about weight control as well as resources on campus available to help you.
• Baggage: The Interactive Dating Show, Feb. 16, 3 p.m. You’ll have a ringside seat to watch peers “play” the dating game as you discover tips for healthy relationships.
• Is Kanye West Right? Feb. 29, 5 p.m. Thoughts of money and finances can be scary and overwhelming, particularly in this economy. West sings “Wait ‘til I get my money right!” and this session touches on how most financial decisions are behavior-based and how attitudes and behaviors coincide.
• Spring Break Saluki Style, March 5, 3:30 p.m. Discover ways to celebrate spring break Saluki style, in a fun but safe way.
• Watch Your Step! March 22, 4 p.m. Every time we “hit the road” we put ourselves at risk but this session offers ways to help avoid common pitfalls.
• Identity in a Bottle, March 26, 2:30 p.m. Advertising glamorizes alcohol and this workshop explores how that works and how it shapes public perception about drinking.
• War Games, April 4, 6 p.m. Playing games is a popular escape mechanism. This session looks at why first person shooter games are so very popular.
• A Good Night’s Sleep, April 9, 4 p.m. Studies show a definite correlation between getting more sleep and getting better grades and this workshop highlights healthy sleep habits to improve college success and overall well being.
• Movin’ On, April 19, 3 p.m. Change can be difficult and transitions are stressful. This session helps you plan to smoothly transition to your next endeavor or stage of life.
• Super Seven Fatigue Busters, April 23, 5 p.m. Discover seven adjustments you can make to your diet to improve memory, academic performance, energy levels and physical endurance.
• Final Success, May 3, two sessions, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Do you ever experience test anxiety or “brain freeze?” Find out how to utilize stress reduction techniques and other strategies to take the stress out of final exams.
The Wellness Center offers educational information about stress management, nutrition, substance abuse, violence prevention, sexual health, relationship violence and more.
For more information about the workshops or the Student Health Center and numerous services it provides, look online at www.shc.siu.edu (under the Wellness Center tab) or call 618/536-4441.