October 07, 2011
‘Once Upon a Time’ is theme for Homecoming
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- It’s time for Homecoming -- Saluki style. Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s “Once Upon a Time” homecoming weekend is a chance to reflect, reminisce, have a lot of fun and make new memories with a wide assortment of special activities Oct. 13-16.
The celebration includes a book sale, movies, a comedy show, volleyball, special exhibits and events, the traditional homecoming parade, tailgating and football game and much more! This year is also the inaugural Saluki Sprint, a run across the Saluki Stadium football field by first-year students just prior to the start of the football game where the Salukis will face off against Youngstown State.
The grand marshal of the 2011 festivities is Steve Finley, University alumnus and athlete who had a remarkable professional baseball career from 1989 to 2007. Playing Major League Baseball he amassed more than 2,500 hits and more than 300 home runs, won numerous awards and was a member of the 2001 World Series champion Arizona Diamondbacks.
The schedule of events for Homecoming 2011 includes:
Wednesday, Oct. 12
• Homecoming Kick-off, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Free Forum Area east of parking garage. The Student Programming Council Homecoming Committee welcomes people for free pizza, give-a-ways and entertainment from WIDB radio. You can meet the homecoming court candidates, too.
• Homecoming Blood Drive, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Student Center Ballrooms. Give the gift of life through this American Red Cross event.
Thursday, Oct. 13
• SIU Press Sidewalk Sale, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., 1915 University Press Drive, behind the McLafferty Annex. Here’s your chance to find new and discounted books about Abraham Lincoln, botany, poetry, the Civil War, regional history and much more.
• Ha-Larious Homecoming Comedy Show, 7 p.m., Student Center Ballrooms. The show features Steve Brown, Ms Dominique and Double D. Tickets are $5 each and you can purchase them in advance at the Student Center Business Office on the second floor or at the door.
• “Horrible Bosses” movie, 7 p.m., Student Center Auditorium, rated R, 98 minutes, $2 for University students with ID, $3 for the general public.
Friday, Oct. 14
• Dental Hygiene Professional Seminar, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Student Center International Lounge/Auditorium. Speakers include registered dental hygienists Linda Bohacek discussing the dental hygienist in veterinary medicine and Anne Nugent Guignon presenting “The Melting Tooth Syndrome.” Guignon is a practicing clinician, columnist, writer and senior consulting editor for RDH Magazine as well as holding an adjunct faculty position at the University of Texas Dental Branch. Bohacek is an alumna of the SIU Carbondale Dental Hygiene Program and is a clinical dental hygienist and human resource assistant at Oakwood Hills Animal Hospital in Eau Claire, Wis.
• Class of 1961 Brunch, 8:30-10:30 a.m. Student Center, Old Main Lounge.
• SIU Alumni Association board of directors meeting, 9:30 a.m.-noon, Student Center.
• SIU Press Sidewalk Sale, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., 1915 University Press Drive, new and discounted books.
• Class of 1961 guided tour of campus and Carbondale, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m., meeting in front of the Student Center.
• SIU Alumni Association and SIU Foundation lunch, noon-1 p.m., Student Center, Ballroom D.
• Legacy Preview, noon-5 p.m., Student Recreation Center, small gym. The Admissions Office is hosting this open house-style event to offer valuable information to alumni and their families about the new Legacy Alternate Tuition Rate and legacy scholarships. Representatives from all over campus will be on hand including Financial Aid, Alumni Association, University Housing, the academic units and more. Find out how the University honors and celebrates its legacy, its alumni. The event also includes walking tours.
• Wine Trail Tour, 1-5 p.m., departing from the Student Recreation Center for those pre-registering online at www.reccenter.siu.edu. Includes bus transportation to area wineries. Tickets are $5 for the bus ride, wine not included.
• SIU Foundation board of directors meetings, 1:30-4:30 p.m., Student Center, Ballroom A.
• SIU Distinguished Alumni Induction Ceremony, 4-5:30 p.m., Student Recreation Center, Alumni Lounge. Everyone is welcome to attend as the SIU Alumni Association honors William A. Fenwick, 1964; James P. Hamilton, 1971; and Mark E. Keim, 1987/1991. Their photos will join those of previous award recipients on the walls as SIU Carbondale honors them for their outstanding performance in their professional lives along with their service to community and the University. For more information about the honorees, see http://news.siu.edu/2011/10/100511par11190.html.
• Homecoming Step Show, 6:06 p.m., Shryock Auditorium. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. sponsors this show featuring the University’s Pan-Hellenic organizations performing traditional step shows.
• Half-Century Club Banquet, 6:15 p.m., Student Center, Ballroom D.
• Alumni band group, 7 p.m., Student Center, Cambria Room/Renaissance Room. This reception welcomes Marching Salukis alumni.
• “Horrible Bosses” movie, 7 and 9:30 p.m. shows, Student Center Auditorium, rated R, $2 for University students, and $3 for the general public.
• Student Recreation Center Reception/Reunion, 7-9 p.m., Student Recreation Center, welcoming anyone affiliated with the center, past or present, for refreshments and an enjoyable evening.
• Saluki volleyball versus Missouri State, 7 p.m., Davies Gym.
Saturday, Oct. 15
• Tailgating Breakfast, 9 a.m.-noon, University Museum, north end of Faner Hall, door 12. See special displays for the 50th anniversary of the class of 1961 and the Dental Hygiene program, along with Vera Felts’ Saluki Stamps, the retired Saluki Dawg mascots, the University cannon and more. Everyone is welcome.
• American Airlines SIUC Aviation Career Day, 9 a.m.-noon, Southern Illinois Airport. Prospective students visit campus courtesy of American Airlines.
• Homecoming parade, 10 a.m., following same route as 2010 through downtown Carbondale and campus.
• Alumni Tailgate, 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Saluki Row. The SIU Alumni Association welcomes everyone, members and non-members, to enjoy free food and socializing with other Saluki fans.
• Saluki Sprint, participants meet by 1:15 p.m. at the football practice field at the south end of Saluki Stadium. A new event comes to the 2011 Homecoming as all members of the University’s Class of 2015 are welcome to join their classmates in an exciting and inspirational run across the Saluki Stadium football field during pre-game activities. The first 250 first-year students to arrive with their student ID cards to participate will get free T-shirts.
• Homecoming football game against the Youngstown State Penguins, 2 p.m. kickoff, Saluki Stadium. Tickets are $20 for adults or $12 for children and available at the ticket windows at Lingle Hall or at the game. Homecoming coronation is at halftime.
• Maroon Madness Basketball Scrimmage, 6 p.m. or approximately an hour after the conclusion of the football game, SIU Arena. See the first official practice of the season for the Salukis.
• 40th Annual Miss Eboness Pagent, 6:34 p.m., Shryock Auditorium. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. sponsors the competition.
• Saluki Volleyball versus Wichita State, 7 p.m., Davies Gym.
• “Horrible Bosses” movie, 7 and 9:30 p.m. shows, Student Center Auditorium, rated R, $2 for University students, $3 for the general public.
Online voting for the homecoming king and queen court is ongoing all week, wrapping up at 8 a.m. on Oct. 13.
The Student Recreation Center is sponsoring free use of their facilities for those with SIU Alumni Association membership cards. Hours are 5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday of homecoming week, 5:30 a.m.-10 p.m. on Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and 1-10 p.m. on Sunday. There are free boat rentals at the campus lake boat dock, too. Visit the website at www.reccenter.siu.edu or call 618/453-1277 for details.
In addition to all of the other exciting homecoming festivities, a number of University facilities are offering special activities, hours or discounts. That includes $2 per game bowling with $1 shoe rental and $3 per hour billiards games at Student Center Bowling and Billiards and discount pricing on SIU merchandise at the University Bookstore for those displaying SIU Alumni Association membership cards.
For more information about Once Upon a Time Homecoming 2011, look online at www.siucstudentcenter.org/homecoming or contact the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393.