October 05, 2011
Student Recreation Center to host reunion
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The Student Recreation Center has long played an important role in the lives of Southern Illinois University Carbondale students and the community and now is the time to celebrate.
The center is hosting a reunion Oct. 14-15, coinciding with the University’s Homecoming weekend, and several activities are on tap. The festivities are open to anyone who was or is a Student Recreation Center student employee, Intramural Sports official or participant, sport club member, program or fitness instructor, graduate assistant, staff member, or someone who spent a good bit of time at SRC.
The event schedule for the weekend includes:
Friday, Oct. 14
• Wine Trail Tour, 1-5 p.m., visit local wineries on a tour bus. Tickets are $5 each plus a nominal processing fee and you can purchase them online at the SRC website, www.reccenter.siu.edu/ under the Student Recreation Center Reunion heading.
• Reception at the Rec, 7-9 p.m. Visit with other alumni and old friends, get acquainted with new friends, enjoy hors d’oeuvres and take a look at the facility that first opened its doors June 12, 1977.
Saturday, Oct. 15
• Homecoming parade, 10 a.m., downtown/campus.
• Football Tailgate at the SIU Alumni Association Tent, 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m., on Saluki Row. Open to Alumni Association members and those who are not members.
• Saluki football versus Youngstown State.
The SRC staff is also seeking your memories and photographs relating to the Student Recreation Center. Share your fond memories and stories about the center along with your pictures of any happening at the Rec Center or its subsidiaries by emailing them to email@example.com. That includes memories and photos from Intramural Sports, sport clubs, base camp, fitness, Adaptive and Inclusive Recreation, and the various other areas. You can also bring your pictures to the center and staff will scan them.
In addition, there is a block of rooms reserved for those attending the SRC reunion. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the code to reserve a room in the block at the Comfort Inn and Suites, 2400 Reed Station Parkway in Carbondale (telephone 618/529-2720 or 618/549-2711).