August 11, 2011
Students earn multi-ethnic academic honor
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale recently recognized recipients of the Multi-Ethnic Student Academic Excellence Award.
A special reception honored multi-ethnic students who earned a spot on the Dean’s List for a minimum of two consecutive semesters. The honored students enjoyed refreshments, entertainment and a time to visit with other student scholars.
Pamela Smoot, clinical assistant professor in Africana Studies and history and 2011 University Women of Distinction recipient, was the featured speaker. The students also nominated faculty and staff in recognition of their efforts to assist students and help them achieve and succeed. Honored faculty and staff and their positions at the time they received the honor were: Teresa Walls, enrollment management student services coordinator; Paula Davis, professor in the Rehabilitation Institute; Beth Butler, instructor in the School of Social Work; and Kathy Pericak-Spector, math professor.
The group of 2011 MEASA award winners, listed by hometown along with their major and an asterisk if they also won the award for the 2009-2010 school year, includes:
• Diondre U. Davis, electrical engineering.
• Darlyshia A. Cherry, speech communication.
• Leo P. Saruwatari, computer engineering.
• Tanvir Ahmed, aviation management.
• Julio Arce, accounting.
• Keshia Edwards, management.
• Tredene L. Gant, human nutrition and dietetics.
• Mariana I. Godinez, accounting.
• Tamara Kang •, psychology.
• Mina L. McCullough, radiologic sciences
• Adrienne D. Ruvalcaba, civil engineering.
• Angela J. Stearn, aviation flight.
• Holly P. Vu •, radiologic sciences.
• Claudio G. Copello, computer engineering.
• Korey D. Jeffries, rehabilitation services.
• Shaqoya L. Newman, hospitality and tourism.
• Ashley Preyar, psychology.
• James D. Redmond *, cinema and photography.
• Dalencia T. Wells, information systems technologies.
Country Club Hills
• Eric J. Terrell *, accounting.
• Genesha M. Pender, finance.
East St. Louis
• Dacia Rush, accounting.
• Ladiedre D. Rugen *, animal science.
• Tyyan C. Peters, communication disorders and sciences.
• Anabell Torres *, Spanish.
• Maria C. Beckmeyer, elementary education.
• John M. Wilson, radio-television.
• Zachary R. Klaas, architectural studies.
• Ashley N. Rodriguez, zoology.
• Jacqueline M. Bessette *, English.
• Karla P. Keller Avelar *, administration of justice.
• Nathan S. Miranda, criminal justice.
• Sreyoneel Biswas, physiology.
• Lana Thai, fashion design and merchandising.
• Keenan C. Gil-McQuillan•, psychology.
• Rachael E. Berbano *, communication disorders and sciences.
• Quenita M. Jones, sociology.
• David J. Rhoads *, finance.
• Abbas K. Palgharwala, mechanical engineering.
• Timothy P. Loftus, German studies.
• Kwame Appiahene-Agyei *, art.
• Lauren W. Turner, biological sciences.
• Renee S. Reed, undecided pre-major.