August 10, 2011

Temporary housing available to displaced students

by Christi Mathis

CARBONDALE, Ill. – Southern Illinois University Carbondale is offering temporary housing arrangements to students displaced from the privately owned Campus Habitat apartment buildings. 

City of Carbondale officials this week closed three of Campus Habitat’s buildings and a portion of a fourth due to building code violations.

University Housing is offering those students the opportunity to stay in Boomer III Hall. The students can sign a short-term agreement paying the usual “break rate” of $22 per night.

“We are pleased to offer assistance to these students,” Chancellor Rita Cheng said.  “With the start of the new school year just days away, we want to reassure them that we can meet their housing needs so they can focus on their academics.”

The agreement extends through Sept. 30 but if a student’s leased Campus Habitat apartment becomes available before that time, they can return to their other apartment without penalty.  Lisa Marks, interim director of University Housing, said if students aren’t able to return to Campus Habitat buildings by the end of September, University officials will reevaluate and determine how to proceed to assure students’ housing needs are met.

The short-term agreements do not include meals but students can take advantage of several options including purchasing a 20-meal plan, purchasing meals individually as guests, or adding funds to their Debit Dawg card to purchase meals both on- and off-campus.

Boomer Hall, typically used to house summer conference visitors and for other similar purposes, has sufficient space to house these displaced students, Marks said.  Single or double occupancy will hinge on the number of students signing up for the short-term stay.

To inquire about or sign up for short-term housing, SIUC students can call 618/453-2301 or visit the University Housing office in Washington Square, Building D.  They will speak with a contracts office representative to assure eligibility and will then fill out appropriate paperwork at Grinnell Hall.