July 27, 2011
Media Advisory -- Summer Program
A group of high school students is enjoying college life and educational experiences at Southern Illinois University Carbondale this week thanks to a partnership between Egyptian High School in Tamms and the University.
The Egyptian High School Summer Enrichment Program includes a week at SIUC from July 25 through July 29 and then continues Aug. 1-5 at Egyptian High School. The Division of Continuing Education and the College of Education and Human Services at SIUC are offering the program of academic and social activities on campus, in the surrounding area and in Tamms for students in grades 9-12.
University faculty, staff and graduate students from various academic units, including curriculum and instruction, hospitality and tourism administration, educational administration and higher education, geography, agriculture and theater are involved with the program. In addition, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Information Technology are providing support.
The high school students are involved in a variety of learning activities involving cooking, geoscience and environmental science, technology, literacy, the Library of Congress, character education and more. Reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to attend some of the activities for stories, photographs and video.
Good opportunities for media coverage include:
• Thursday, July 28 -- Cooking project (Quigley Hall, Rooms 208, 212, 214) from 9 a.m. to noon; literacy and character education projects (Morris Library Rooms 540 A and B and 510 A and B) 1-3:30 p.m.
• Friday, July 29 -- Cooking project (Quigley Hall, Rooms 208, 212 214), 9 a.m.-noon; character education and literacy projects (Morris Library Rooms 540 A and B and 510 A and B) 2:15-4:15 p.m.
At Egyptian High School
• Monday, Aug. 1 -- Library of Congress project, 10 a.m.-noon; character education, 2-4 p.m.
• Tuesday, Aug. 2 -- Admissions presentation by SIUC Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 9:30-11:30 a.m.; ecoproject, 12:30-2:30 p.m.; character education, 2:30-4 p.m.
• Wednesday, Aug. 3 -- Cooking project, 9:30 a.m.-noon; ecoproject field trip to off-campus location, call for details, 1-4 p.m.
• Thursday, Aug. 4 -- Cooking project, 9:30 a.m.-noon; ecoproject, 1-2 p.m., literacy project, 2-3 p.m.; character education, 3-4 p.m.
• Friday, Aug. 5 -- Cooking project and lunch preparation/presentations, 9:15 a.m.-1 p.m.; open house and presentations highlighting program activities.
For more information about the program, contact Andrea Evans, chair of the Department of Educational Administration and Higher Education in the College of Education and Human Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 618/453-6065.